'06 Rear A/C leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'06 Rear A/C leak

tlc1680

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
I am leaking refrigerant in my line going back to the rear evaporator in my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with rear A/C. The leak is coming from the line around the front door.

Is the only way to repair this to replace the entire line? I need the A/C in the rear for my kids so I don't want to simply shut it off. If it needs to be replaced does anyone have an estimate on the cost to have this done.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm just wondering. Isn't there a second independent A/C in the rear?
Mine 2007 has one!

what is independent rear a/c?

There is a front A/C system and in the rear there is a second A/C system.
So why should there be a line from the front going back to the rear?

well when look at the car and i am sure yours the same lukas, if you look underneath the vehicle towards the edge of the door there is a line that runs from the cannister all the way to back of vehicle

I am leaking refrigerant in my line going back to the rear evaporator in my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with rear A/C. The leak is coming from the line around the front door.

Is the only way to repair this to replace the entire line? I need the A/C in the rear for my kids so I don't want to simply shut it off. If it needs to be replaced does anyone have an estimate on the cost to have this done.

Thanks
It’s unfortunate that you have been experiencing this concern. Have you had a chance to talk to a dealer yet about the issue? Let me know through private messages if you’d like help setting up an appointment.

Cory

I'm just wondering. Isn't there a second independent A/C in the rear?
Mine 2007 has one!
I looked into this and found there is a separate evaporator in the rear, but it still uses the same compressor and condenser that the front system uses. This is another reason why I suggest having the Explorer diagnosed by a dealer. I hope that helps.

Cory

Interesting! Thank you for this information!

I had the same problem with my '06 Mountaineer. The dealership just replaced the lines going to the rear, and everything's been fine ever since.

How much did you have to pay for that?

It was still covered under my warranty, but I believe the service tech said it would have cost about $750.00.

My 2007 Explorer EB just had the rear lines rust out. We took it in and they said it would be between $1500 - 2000 to fix. We decided to cap the rear A/C and just continue with the front.

At least the rear fan still works ;)

My 2007 Explorer EB just had the rear lines rust out. We took it in and they said it would be between $1500 - 2000 to fix. We decided to cap the rear A/C and just continue with the front.

At least the rear fan still works ;)

I feel your pain. Been through the rusted lines scenario more times than I can count. A 2007 ANYTHING should have no rust, let alone rusted out. I live Outside of Buffalo NY, the salt capital of NY state. My friend's 2010 Explorer EB is starting to rust already.. Sickening. I see your not that far away from me.

I had the same problem on my 02, the shop I took it to just put some epoxy on it and it lasted the whole summer. I traded it in so I am not sure after that thought.

how does one go about capping off the rear lines?

I too would like to know what the procedure is for deletion of the rear ac evaporator from the system. Just purchased 7 pass 05 Explorer with the front and back ac system and only need the front ac. Since its not even working and needs a charge would like to permanently remove the entire rear ac unit from the rear including changing out the headliner back to std. Any help on how to get it all out of the system would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Back