• Register Today It's free!

'06 Rear bumper cover removal

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
I need to remove the rear bumper cover on my 06 Explorer. It must have been replaced and repainted (not well) because the paint did not adhere to the bumper in these two places:

IMG_20150707_120633265_zpskrsqrlgs.jpg

IMG_20150707_120640663_zpsvpqr5mql.jpg

I don't know why it's just on the corners. The paint is sticking to the rest of the bumper.

I bought some SEM base coat and some some sort of clear primer for plastic bumpers at Wal-Mart.

There are a series of black plugs visable with the rear hatch open just above the black skid plate. Best I can figure out you pry each center plug out with a flat head screwdriver then pull the insert out. Is that correct?

So far I'm managed to remove about four of them without breaking any of them so I suppose I'm on the right track.

But while in the process my four year of daughter was driving me nuts. She climbed in through the rear hatch not once but three times into the driver's seat and like last time as I was cleaning the inside of the vehicle, she messed with the switches and the lights below the mirrors would not turn off and it took me awhile to figure out why. So I decided to pack it up for the day.

Once I remove all of these plastic plugs with the tail gate open, is that is? Do I just lift up on the rear bottom of the bumper cover it comes off or are there other fasteners/items that need to be removed such as the tail lights which I guess would involve removing the side panels inside the vehicle?

Also what is the best way to remove the paint from a plastic bumper? I'm not going to repaint the entire cover. Just strip the paint on the corners and repaint those areas. Yeah I should probably paint the whole bumper but I think if I tape it off at the seams it should blend right in.

U need to remove the rear lights, just 2 10 mm screws/bolts. Then just push clips.

Back