06 SOHC V6 4.0 bank 1 misfires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

riverdale21

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer
Been trying to get to the bottom of a bank 1 misfire. Actual codes are for cylinders 1, 2, 3, and random misfire. All happening at different times. Car seems to run fine until 45-50 mph and trying to accelerate, maybe somewhat of a lumpy idle, and/or odd lumpy acceleration. Doesn't feel as smooth as I would expect.

The problem started after changing the oil and replacing the plastic thermostat housing (for the 4th time in 2 years). I had sprayed a bunch of brake parts cleaner into the v of the engine to try to evaporate some of the coolant in there.

Test drove the engine and the hesitation began. Here's what I've done so far:
New Motorcraft nickel plugs gapped .054 (parts store said these were OEM)
New ignition coil
New front O2 sensors, both sides
New MasterPro plug wires
New Motorcraft thermostat housing

I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying soapy water around the intake, throttle, and manifold - no bubbling. Have not tested resistance of the injectors yet. Also have not tested the EGR valve with vacuum yet, OBD2 scanner states 0% egr position and 0% egr error while driving. No compression test yet either. Oil level has stayed the same since the oil change less than 30 miles ago, haven't seen any milkyness to it. Per OBD2 scanner fuel pressure reads 35-40psi while driving, fuel pump and filter are new within the last year. Again, the only codes I'm getting are for the misfires, no lean, or any other codes.

That's a good thought, Ill check that out. I did smell a little bit of fuel while doing a compression test but I had figured that was due to not all of the fuel being out of the rail while cranking.

Compression test results:
1 - 120psi
2 - 120psi
3 - 120psi
4 - 120psi
5 - 90psi
6 - 120psi

Going to do a wet compression test tonight when I get the chance. I double checked cylinder 5 to make sure there wasn't a mistake, removed and reinstalled the tester. Same result both times.

Tested the CMP and CKP with just a resistance reading around 430-450ohms each. Sensors were tested with a Fluke 115 meter, calibrated 11/18/16. Went to the parts store and new parts measured the same. Ill take HZ readings and AC volt readings on both of those sensors after the wet compresssion test and checking injector o-rings.

Back