• Register Today It's free!

'06 Tail Lights on an '03

YamahaDrtRdr

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I was wondering if anybody knows if the tail lights from a 4th gen. X will fit on a 3rd gen. I've heard that a little bit of mod may need to be done. Can you help me out?

TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggested to my dad to do this for his '05, but i never heard of any modifications having to be done. I guess i'll wait for an answer too.

i've been looking to do this, and it seems that they should fit fine w/o any modification. Ford seems to leave most of the things the same and just change the look.

I've been looking at this as well. From what I have seen, the 4th gen lights look like they fit, but the 3rd gen tailight has two bulbs (1 reverse and 1 tail light/brake/ turn combo). The 4th gen housing is set up for three bulbs.

Not to say that a little "creative wiring" could solve this.

Please let us know if you get this done and how you modded the wires. Pics are always appreciated

yeah i noticed that also.
My orginal plan was to use some 07 mountaineer taillights since the are clear. And they also have 3 bulbs.
My plan is to make some boards and fill them with LEDs, using the new explorer taillights would be perfect since they are round. Then paint the rest of the taillight the same color as my explorer (red fire)
Hope to do this before winter starts, i'll keep everyone update

Back