• Register Today It's free!

06 taillights....

eDg3 oF cHa0s

Reaction score
City, State
Grayson, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Will 06 Explorer taillights fit on an 05 Explorer without any modifications?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably not but if you can find someone with an 06 try to swap taillights and post the results.

It will fit... but you have to make some mods to your wiring. The 05 has two bulbs (the brake/turn signal bulb is a dual filament [sp] bulb), the 06 has three bulbs. I'm gonna look on some other forums for you and find a write up on it! Hope that helps...

That would be great Jason......I appreciate it bro! :thumbsup:

This was taken from *********...

Some people have been interested in changing there taillamps.

I went to the Dealer today and the salesman that I deal with let me borrow one of the taillamps out of his 06 EB demo to see if they will fit.

The first thing I noticed is that all of the wiring is different. The 3rd gen X only have 2 sockets, the 06 has 3 sockets.
The 06 taillamps have the same shape on the outside but I found that they wont fit in the taillamp opening of the 3rd gens.
The problem is that the back of the 06 taillamp has the extra socket, the area that the socket plugs into is very large, the 06 taillamp opening has a "notch" cut out where the top of the taillamp attaches.

I did notice that all of the holes are there, just need to get the retainters for the 06 taillamps studs to "snap" into.

I do think this conversion could be done if the taillamp opening was cut out so the taillamp would fit. then there is the job of trying to wire up the bulbs.

Now if you have the 06 and dont like youre taillamps, good news, the 3rd gen taillamps will fit in the 06 taillamp openings, you will still have to do some wiring and you will have 1 less bulb.

Gonna still look for a write up!

Sounds good Jason......Is there anyway that you can take a pic of the tail lamps out side by side and post them on here.....I do not have access to an 06 Explorer.....I just want to see where on the truck and the lamp needs to be modified?

05XLT said:
Gonna still look for a write up!
Do your own write up and submit it to Rick, it'll earn you a Elite Explorer membership.

Its not all that hard. A little rewiring and I had to bend some steel.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,098

tower said:
How did you wire in the extra socket??

Also, I seen that you live in millbury, ma. Isn't near worcester,ma?? I'll be out there for the summer nationals car show. I'm in Fall River, ma

Vic

vp6799 said:
How did you wire in the extra socket??

Also, I seen that you live in millbury, ma. Isn't near worcester,ma?? I'll be out there for the summer nationals car show. I'm in Fall River, ma

Vic

Just spliced it in. The harder part was the white light you need new sockets. (smaller) had to buy 3 different ones to find ones that fit right, I will see if I can find the part # for the one that worked.

Millbury is just south of Worcester.

tower said:

They look awesome.....I love it......What steel part are you talking about that needs to be bent?

Here's the 05:
post-140-1136685660_thumb.jpg

The 06:
post-140-1136685669_thumb.jpg

post-140-1136685680_thumb.jpg

See the difference?

That would be the steel I bent out of the way.

I did not cut it like ford did all you have to do is bend it up out of the way.

That looks pretty simple to do.....Now all I have to do is find some 06 tails!

I wonder this because I just bought an 05 and love the tail lights they put on the 06+...Now I know and will search for a set. I love this fourm....

05XLT, is that the extent of the modification as far as metal is concerned? The small piece on the top and that's it? If so, that's a lot easier then people make it seem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoops.. I'm dumb, didn't look at the post date. Thanks, Donner.

Back