06 V6 4x4.... 135K - tranny seems to flare when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 V6 4x4.... 135K - tranny seems to flare when cold

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
So the wifes 06 EB tranny is starting to act up-

the truck has 135K miles. Not sure when the last time the fluid was changed to tell you the truth.

Over the past few months when you put it in reverse and back up, then shift into Drive, there is a few second hesitation before the truck will start moving forward. All else was fine.

Now all of a sudden when you take off down the road, under light load the truck will take off, and then acts like it go into neutral for a few seconds, that back into gear. I want to say its NOT while shifting between gears, but this morning it seemed like it was between 2-3. I originally thought it was 1-2. My wife keeps blaming the Flex shifter i installed about 4 years ago- lol
So for now the truck it parked and we are not daily driving it anymore until i get to the bottom of this.

I was going to have the fluid changed right away but the dealer wants $280 to flush and fill and i have a feeling there is something going on in the valvebody anyways.

So i was going to drop the pan and have a look around. My old 96 i ended up needing to replace a few solenoids- wondering if thats whats going on here. Other then that the tranny shifts and performs fine. Then i need to figure out how to fill it back up. I have read a few procedures, talked to a friend who moved away bit is a mechanic and familiar with these trannys, and found some of the tools needed to do it.

Anyone have any input on where to start. What to look for? Should i just jump right in and replace the valvebody with a rebuilt and tested one?

thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your symptoms don't indicate a valve body issue to me. If it does it only when cold then it sounds like a fluid level to me. If you have never changed the fluids then it is way past due and there are several posts here describing how to do it (make sure that the fluid has the correct specification). It is possible that the servo bores are out of tolerance (based on mileage and symptoms) and it needs a servo kit put in it, but that is something to look into only if the current fluid levels are good and the fluid doesn't have too many miles on it.

sound alot like fluid level to me... the fluid expands as it heats so when it is cold the trans has low fluid as it warms the problem seams to go away but im sure this causes lots of wear

thanks for the replies all-

I was going to have the tranny flushed, but im afraid to since i dont know when the last time or if it has been done. I have heard stories of doing this to a high milage tranny and then all of a sudden the tranny goes,

any input on this?

Just drop the pan and replace the filter too. Look for any large metal flakes in the fluid and if there is none then all is good. The problem with the flush on higher mileage (100k +) transmissions with no prior fluid change history is the possiblility of dislodging metal flakes back into the system.

Back