'06 XLT Can't Shift Out of Park

JerryB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boonville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 V6 XLT
Seems like previous posts about my problem are several years old!

My '06 XLT is increasingly difficult to shift out of park. Get in, start, put my foot on the brake pedal, but totally unable to move the shifter.

I've tried pushing on the brake in 'different' locations but no change.

So far, turning the engine off and restarting allows me to shift.

I do see that there was a recall in the distant past, but don't know if my Expy (purchased used) was either part of the recall, or if it would qualify for something done years ago. And, our 'local' Ford Dealer is totally unapproachable. Seems like most of their income comes from 'diagnostic' fees!'

The earlier threads indicate that there are various solutions, with pricing ranging from the cost of installing a new switch (dimple and affordable) to having to replace the entire steering column (definitely not at all affordable for a 10 year old SUV).

BTW, I did take it by my trusted mechanic yesterday. We tried it several times and it worked as designed every time. He said "come back when you have the problem!" Of course the problem only occurs at my house or in distant locations.

Any help / ideas / suggestions seriously appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix it quickly, and cheaply for less than $20.00. It's a printed circuit board, part #9L2Z7J437B. Find it for less than $20.00 on eBay. It's located in the console right behind the interlock solenoid.

Ornery:

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. My only question is whether that electronic module would be intermittent? In the couple of days since my original post, the shifter has worked 100% of the time.

I begin to suspect that there is a switch / contact in the brake pedal or shifter mechanism that is either intermittent or maladjusted.

Still, I will get the module and be prepared to replace it. Thanks again for the information!

No worries Jerry. That's exactly the symptom, and it is intermittent. I only wish all this truck's issues could be fixed as quickly, cheaply and easily!

I had this same problem. Went up to the local part store and got the chip Omery suggested. Thought it fixed the problem but it still persists. All i do is spray a little bit of WD40 on the part that slides back and forth. Seems to fix my issue

Well, two things Steven. One, where did you find a part store that stocked that circuit board? Two, I could duplicate the symptom you had, by pulling on the shifter before pressing the brake pedal. The solenoid can't overcome the tension, unless perhaps it's heavily lubed.

I fooled around with the solenoid, but I could see it intermittently wasn't getting voltage to energize it. Before I found that video about the chip, I was worried it may be related to a relay (or something,) in the Smart Junction Box. Thank God it turned out such an easy fix!

Edit: Ah hah, found Dorman part number 924707, which may be available all over the place. They call it a "Shift Interlock Solenoid", which of course, it's not! It does connect to the Shift Interlock Solenoid, though.

Yes that was the part i bought :). Its weird because it fixed the problem but it came back again. So i went out and got a new one. Same problem is still ongoing. Have not come up with a reason just yet!

Back