06 XLT Trim Fading!!!! Suggestions Needed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 XLT Trim Fading!!!! Suggestions Needed!

Dapo2008

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Hey Guys, My '06 XLT black trim (located around the wheels, bumpers, mirrors, and door handles) is fading. I feel like this is way to early for paint of any kind to be fading. 1) I was wondering if I could go to the dealership because it might be under warranty, 2) Any suggestions to how I can revive the color, or what do they sell so I can revive the color, and 3) How much do you think it would cost to get the Trim Painted the same color, like the 06/07 Limiteds. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, it really works that well, Has anyone tried using Forever Black, or should I just paint everything the same color as the body?

Wow, it really works that well, Has anyone tried using Forever Black, or should I just paint everything the same color as the body?

It's your call, but you're talking about 10 minutes of your time to apply Mothers, vs. who-knows-how-much-time & money to paint everything. MG was not exaggerating. Mothers BTB will make your black trim look better than it did off the showroom floor. Yes, I've tried Forever Black. It actually has dye in it, so you'd want to tape off the area with masking tape beforehand, plus you would have to clean/dry the surface more thoroughly. Yeah, FB will hold its appearance longer, but IMHO two coats of BTB is much less of a pain in the arse the stuff you have to do with FB to get it right.

Thanks that was an excellent response, I think I am going to go with Mothers Back to Black. Should I wait till its warmer outside (I'm in Boston), or does it not matter. Just wondering from experience, because I know what is always on the in the directions is not the best idea.

you know it sucks, i just saw a 2007 XLT black and the entire body of the car was painted, not like the 2006 where the XLT's werent. they should have done that from the beginning.

Your Telling ME!!!!

Back