• Register Today It's free!

07 Audiophile upgrade

mrcube07

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer sport trac
Hey guys I bought my 07 three months ago and well it had the famous dim display, so I went ahead and soldered the connectors on the back of the screen. Well yesterday the display was flickering like it did when I bought it, this is telling me I should just replace it, so I have a couple of questions
1. Could I buy a factory nav unit, the only concern is that I have the heated windshield option and from my understanding the nav was never installed from the factory in explorers that has heated windshields but I have sirus xm. So could I just go ahead and use the same antenna for xm and gps?

2. I might want to go after market, this being said I might want to have a unit with apple carplay. If I go this route I heard people having issued with the speakers poping when starting the truck this was only on the audiophile trucks tho, how do I make sure that wont happen on my truck? Also will I get to retain my factory aux jack located on the center console if I switch to aftermarket?

Explorer info: Heated windshield, Audiophile six disc with factory sub and amp untouched, no steering wheel controls.

if you guys need anymore info just let me know, thaks for reading!

Aftermarket is fine. The only reason the sub pops is because ford used a 5v remote line to their amps instead of the standard 12. You can either get a dc to dc converter to drop 12 to 5v, or do what I did and run a 1.2k ohm resistor in line on the remote line and it will drop the supply voltage. On a side note, if you go with the Metra kit, the audio connections for the sub are missing a proper ground so you will end up with a loop if you dont add a wire from the negitive on the jacks to chassis ground. This will also cause popping.

Back