07 Explorer 3 valve 4.6l P0420 code (PASSENGER CAT) and no symptoms except for 2nd gear lurch. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Explorer 3 valve 4.6l P0420 code (PASSENGER CAT) and no symptoms except for 2nd gear lurch.

Reaction score
City, State
New York NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
I have a 2007 Explorer 4.6 with a check engine light. Ive pulled the codes before and got a p0420. Some might say to change the o2 but I have a general idea of what caused the p0420 to pop up. I've had multiple cylinders misfiring at 1 point and time during the miss fire issue the truck was driven around for weeks before getting fixed. During those drives like going up hill and over bridge spans since I live in NYC (but mostly highway driving) I noticed the stumbling upon acceleration, rough idle, the check engine light would flash.
I got the petty misfire issue fixed with some new plugs and coils (MSD coils), new exhaust manifolds and she runs like a champ and check engine was cleared. Check engine light comes back about a few weeks later which my mechanic told me was gonna happen. So now it comes back as a P0420 CATALYTIC CONVERTER BELOW EFFICIENCY THRESHOLD or whatever.
My thing thing is if the catalytic converters are in Y pipe and my passenger converter is the problem. wouldn't it make since to replace the whole Y pipe instead of having an exhaust shop cut out the problem converter and weld a new 1 in? My explorer really isn't showing any symptoms of a bad converter except for the gas milage which is 10.4mpg city and wen get on the highway it goes up to like 13... I have another question. I wanna do a lil customization to the down pipes from the cats. I was thinking of doing 2 3" down pipes for a little rumble on the stock exhaust would that be OK if I did that while replacing the catalytic converters? Any thoughts? AND ARE THERE ANY CONVERTERS THAT ARE CALIFORNIA LEGAL OR DO THEY HAVE TO HAVE AN 02 SENSOR PORT ON IT TO PASS INSPECTION? IM IN NY AND NY AND CALIFORNIA HAVE THE SAME EMISSIONS AS OF IDK WEN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer has a California emissions sticker and I live in NY. I have no Idea which converter I can use

Mike -
I would search using that part number with other vendors for better price, and also to ask them if it's CA compliant.
I am in NY as well, just north of the city, past Tappan Zee bridge, and never had an issue with passing inspection with those aftermarket cats.

Mike -
I would search using that part number with other vendors for better price, and also to ask them if it's CA compliant.
I am in NY as well, just north of the city, past Tappan Zee bridge, and never had an issue with passing inspection with those aftermarket cats.

That definitely sounds like a plan. Damn dude u not that far away So you already kno the struggle. So its a must I gets this fixed. I'm not f*ckin wit MTA (not to be rude) in plus I work to far for that. This is my first 4th Gen that Ive ever owned and despite being a previous 3th Gen owner and by far love this platform. My last was a lemon and this 1 was on the verge of being a lemon. After doing a little homework on the 4.6/54 3 valve and these things have a ton of room for improvement as far as power and reliability if only u take your time and take care of it. So I fixed a lot of the miscellaneous issues and its perfect. I'm just not getting the symptoms of a bad cat. Thats the part that bugging me.

Back