07 Explorer 4.0 swap to 4.6

r0m1r3z

Reaction score
City, State
Almaty
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer 4wd Limited
Hey guys!

Think you here have more experience than me. :)
I’m thinking about swap my 07 4wd Explorer Limited from 4.0 to 4.6 engine. Maybe anyone already done that?
The main reason is that i want to go on from ****ty weak 5r55s transmission and timing chain maintenance procedures with drop off engine everytime when i need to check rear chain. I use my Exp often in mountain trips, and i want little bit more power and more confidence in my trans.

I don't have the junkyard here in my country, but i have good supplier who can help to find the 4.6 kit with low mileage. I need to give hime the list of what i need. This is the pre-list of what I’m thinking will needed for swap from 4.0 to 4.6:
• 4.6 engine with all accessories (alternator/steering pump/ac compressor)
• 4.6 air filter box
• 6r60 (6r80) transmission with transfer case
• 4.6 ecu
• 4.6 ignition key with lock cylinder (don't want to program ecu)
• 4.6 harness with trans harness + alternator harness
• 4.6 starter
• 4.6 exhaust with catalytic convertors and o2 sensors
• 4.6 cooling radiator shroud (only shroud)
• couple of cooling and steering hoses
Anything else?
1f914.png

Do i need to change dash from 4.6? Or there is no connection between ignition key/cylinder, ecu and dash?
1f914.png
And what about edition? Do i need ECU from the same Limited Edition or it's the same as EB or XLT? I understand that i need 4wd donor.

Any thoughts on what else I need? I'll be grateful.
I do not consider replacing with to other engines because I'm not in the USA and it is difficult for me to get LS or Coyote for adequate money. And the swap for these engines will be more difficult than just changing to 4.6, which was already been in the Explorer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest getting the instrument cluster too. It is programmed specifically for use in one vehicle and is tied to the PCM. There might be other modules that are the same. It will be a heck of a project to complete. You might find it less expensive to find a V8 4th gen and buy it. Selling your current vehicle and adding in the cost of the swap might be close to the price to buy a V8 4th gen model.

I would suggest getting the instrument cluster too. It is programmed specifically for use in one vehicle and is tied to the PCM. There might be other modules that are the same. It will be a heck of a project to complete. You might find it less expensive to find a V8 4th gen and buy it. Selling your current vehicle and adding in the cost of the swap might be close to the price to buy a V8 4th gen model.
Hey! thanks for your answer!
Buying full 4.6 is not work for be because of this reasons:
1. I have made a lot of things with suspension/exterior/interior in my Exp. Many parts are new. I now every bolt in this car. :)
2. We have big taxes for cars with engine 4+, thats why 4.6 is not popular in my country. And if i will buy a 4.6 i will need to pay full tax every year. But, if i will swap 4.6 i will be in good 4.0 tax :)
3. We have a few of these cars and many are in poor condition (bad interior or rugged body or just full of cheep china parts), I don't want to go through the whole troubleshooting process again.

Of course, if I lived in the USA, I would not think, I just bought good 4.6 :)

As i see and i check with Microcat catalog, most of modules are the same for 4.0 and 4.6. BUT! I see that my 4.0 have 3.73 diff's and most of 4.6 have 3.55 diff's. Maybe anyone change their diff's to 3.73? what is the procedure for adoption speedometer gauge and transmission?

Hey! thanks for your answer!
Buying full 4.6 is not work for be because of this reasons:
1. I have made a lot of things with suspension/exterior/interior in my Exp. Many parts are new. I now every bolt in this car. :)
2. We have big taxes for cars with engine 4+, thats why 4.6 is not popular in my country. And if i will buy a 4.6 i will need to pay full tax every year. But, if i will swap 4.6 i will be in good 4.0 tax :)
3. We have a few of these cars and many are in poor condition (bad interior or rugged body or just full of cheep china parts), I don't want to go through the whole troubleshooting process again.

Of course, if I lived in the USA, I would not think, I just bought good 4.6 :)

As i see and i check with Microcat catalog, most of modules are the same for 4.0 and 4.6. BUT! I see that my 4.0 have 3.73 diff's and most of 4.6 have 3.55 diff's. Maybe anyone change their diff's to 3.73? what is the procedure for adoption speedometer gauge and transmission?
I can see why you would want to do the swap. The 4th gen V8s never had a 3.73 option. They are all 3.55 ratios. This might be an issue with the 4th gen PCM programming but possibly not enough to matter much beyond having in inaccurate speedometer.

I see you are from Kazakhstan. I am a huge fan of Dimash Qudaibergen. He is an exceptional singer!

The clusters are all the same in all vehicle builds and production years.

4.6 to 4.0 swap needs advanced both the Forscan,Ford IDS and as-build code editting knowledge.

Getting the parts only are not enough.Ford OTIS access also strongly recommended.

Pairing between all the modules and reflashing the IC and the PCM avilable only with Ford OTIS and Rotunda IDS.

I can see why you would want to do the swap. The 4th gen V8s never had a 3.73 option. They are all 3.55 ratios. This might be an issue with the 4th gen PCM programming but possibly not enough to matter much beyond having in inaccurate speedometer.

I see you are from Kazakhstan. I am a huge fan of Dimash Qudaibergen. He is an exceptional singer!
Wow, do you know Dimash's work?) I'm very surprised. But he's really talented.

The clusters are all the same in all vehicle builds and production years.

4.6 to 4.0 swap needs advanced both the Forscan,Ford IDS and as-build code editting knowledge.

Getting the parts only are not enough.Ford OTIS access also strongly recommended.

Pairing between all the modules and reflashing the IC and the PCM avilable only with Ford OTIS and Rotunda IDS.
Thanks,

Can you tell what modules do you mean, because as i see there is all modules same for 4.0 and 4.6 (only pcm of course). But if it will be full kit with engine/pcm/trans/transfer case/wiring/ignition - from 4.6, do you think that other modules need to be change too?

I have v-gate hs/ms can cable and fully work ForScan with lic. Think that Ford IDS i can find somewhere locally. But what to do next for me right now it’s a black hole.

you will need to erase and fully reflash the PCM with V8 engine software (using ford IDS)and then to pair it with the instrument cluster.

The axles needs to be replaced too.as far as i know,no way to change gear ratio on trans module.

Wow, do you know Dimash's work?) I'm very surprised. But he's really talented.
I have been following him for the past several years. IMO, he is easily the best singer in the world currently. Also, he is also such a good, humble person with a kind and gentle heart. I love how proud he is of his country and the people there. Kazakhstan has given the world an amazingly talented person.

you will need to erase and fully reflash the PCM with V8 engine software (using ford IDS)and then to pair it with the instrument cluster.

The axles needs to be replaced too.as far as i know,no way to change gear ratio on trans module.
i heard from several people that they replace both front and rear axles from 3.55 to 3.73 on 4.6 version. But there need to edit some of data in transmission flash and fix incorrect speedometer. I have a contact, who can do this operation, will call him to check this information.
Anyway thanks for help!

And if i understand right, no matter that i can replace axles from 4.6 or i will use my own 3.73 axles - in any case i will need to "erase and fully reflash the PCM with V8 engine software (using ford IDS)and then to pair it with the instrument cluster" :oops:

Yeah thats the most complicated part.

Pcm and IC will need V8 as build code and a software.

Back