07 Explorer - fluid leak rear driver side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Explorer - fluid leak rear driver side

george919

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4x4
07Exporer XLT - I just noticed yesterday as I parked in my driveway that fluid leaked from somewhere on the driver side rear (near the tire and where the brake line is.) I checked the brake fluid thinking maybe it was leaking, however the reservoir was full. Any ideas what could be leaking? So far, it has been the one time. Whatever it is, it did leave a stain on the concrete. Thanks.

link to picture - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f75j1uzyf7g688o/20130918_121031.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear AC is in that area and it could just be condensation from it.

The rear AC is in that area and it could just be condensation from it.

Thanks Gibby, Yes, I was running the rear AC. does condensation leave a stain? I checked the stain and while it was not very oily, nothing really was blotted onto the towel.

if the spot has not dried up then it was not condensation and would likely be Oil! oil is used in the a/c systems to lubricate the internals! it is like mineral oil!

Like Polizi said, if the spot goes away then it was just water. Water dripping on dry white concrete like in the picture can make what looks to be an oil stain because the concrete absorbs the water making it darker in that area than the rest of it.

Like Polizi said, if the spot goes away then it was just water. Water dripping on dry white concrete like in the picture can make what looks to be an oil stain because the concrete absorbs the water making it darker in that area than the rest of it.

Thanks for the responses. The stain is still there. I have not seen any more leaks since the original leak stain on tuesday. Should I be concerned? take some sort of action?

I would say that if everything is working just fine and no new spots then keep an eye on it, but no cause for concern yet since it cannot be determined where it came from.

Back