07 Explorer temperature gauge spikes, then falls after flushing noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Explorer temperature gauge spikes, then falls after flushing noise

kjd214

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford F 150 XLT
Hi all,

First post so apologies in advance if I do something wrong!

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer. A little over a year ago, I experienced some problems where I would hear a big rush of air/noise at or near the front dash, and when I pressed on the accelerator, the noise would only grow. If I continued to press on the accelerator, the temperature gauge in my vehicle would climb until it went to red, and the warning light came on in my dash. If I pulled off to the side and sat there, eventually (1-2 minutes later) the noise would die down, I would hear a FLUSHING noise somewhere near or in the front dash of water or some other liquid, and right after that happened - the temperature gauge retreated back to normal...and all was well. This would usually happen in the morning during my first drive of the day, but not always.

I took it in for service - they removed the over flow bottle to drain rusted coolant and power flushed the cooling system with BG additive. To be honest, I know little of what that means.

Over 12,000 miles later...with little to no problems, the same issue cropped up again. Same exact issue with same symptoms and experiences.

They've now recommended replacing the thermostat and/or replacing the thermostat and putting in a new radiator. Thermostat ~ $300...both together is about $850.

Anybody have similar experiences? Any recommendations? Any help or guidance would be extremely appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The loud "whooshing" noise is the fan kicking on high to try to cool the engine down. I would have replaced the thermostat to begin with since it sounds exactly like a thermostat stuck closed since it does it after setting overnight. The OEM thermostat is something like $30 and if you are good you can just catch the coolant off the lower radiator hose in a clean 5 gal bucket and reuse it since it was just put in the system not too long ago. Unless you see the radiator leaking somewhere I would not replace the radiator.

You didn't say what engine you have and you didn't say when your issue ocurred. Does it happen shortly after startup or sometime after it had gotten up to temp.

Flag Gibby...thank you! I may give that a shot.

Boomyal - sorry about that it's a V6 4.0L engine. It happens shortly after startup...maybe a few minutes/miles down the road. Normally during my first drive of the day. After that, it's good to go. That's when I have noticed it most.

Flag Gibby...thank you! I may give that a shot.

Boomyal - sorry about that it's a V6 4.0L engine. It happens shortly after startup...maybe a few minutes/miles down the road. Normally during my first drive of the day. After that, it's good to go. That's when I have noticed it most.

Even though you have a V6, you could still have the same issue as I have. Your symptoms are identical to mine. Exhaust gas in a cooling system can be tested for.

Even though you have a V6, you could still have the same issue as I have. Your symptoms are identical to mine.

You're having the same issue? Have you done anything?

Back