• Register Today It's free!

07 mountaineer noisys diff.

mes882

Reaction score
City, State
iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mountaineer prem
I have an 07 mountain premier 4.6l awd with about 58000 miles. The problem I have is every now and then the front diff will make a weird howl noise. Usually at low speed like from a stop to say 5mph. It only does this every once in a while. The only way to simulate it is to lock in 4wd. I took it to the deal and he told me that this is a normal characteristic for this vehicle. Every thing is ok.

So I was wondering if I replaced the front diff fluid with some 75w/90w synthetic Like royal purple. Would this help quite it down????? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing every once in a while Usually when I'm slightly turning.
I'm sure if I mentioned it to the dealer he wouldn't be able to replicate the issue. Happens maybe once a week.

you sure its not the front wheel bearing? Far more common than a diff going, it can sound similar. its kinda of hard to trouble shoot. Best method is to get it on a hoist and use a stethoscope and listen to each bearing as you turn it by hand. When i did my '04 i swear it was the left side. I did both at the same time, and guess what? once i got them out i could 'feel' the right one was bad.
If you want a good write up check the 3rd gen section. Its the same from '02 to '10 same rules apply.

Mine is like paulyjsob. Every once in a while when I start to take off and yes usually turning a bit at slow speed and only for a few seconds. I suppose more noticeable when it is cold out. It sound kinda like when locked in 4wd and driving on dry surface.

I think it is something to do with the clutches in the front diff. Thats why I am wondering if a synthetic oil would be better in there.

The dealer told me that everything check ok including the front bearings. If it was a bearing wouldn't it do it all the time?? That was my first thought.

same thing here ,after sitting 8 hours or overnight maybe once a month when cold and turning slightly. Lasts about 2-3 seconds.

Well I am glad I am not the only one. The question is does any one know why?? They do this. I am thinking about sticking some royal purple synthetic 75w-90 in the front diff. Guess well see if that helps. I was hoping some one here may have tried that all ready.

The whole system is electronically controlled. I think its a gremlin showing its ugly head every once in a while. Perhaps every once in a while it senses some slippage?
I had this checked out last year and everything looked normal. Hopefully it'll stay that way as my extended warranty expires in 3000 miles.

Back