07 Sport Trac Tonneau Cover Keys | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

07 Sport Trac Tonneau Cover Keys

btiedemann

Reaction score
City, State
Cordova,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
Tonneau Cover Locks

Just had a friend give me an original equipment tonneau cover off of his 2005 Sport Trac. My Sport Trac is also a 2005. My questions are, can I have the existing locks re-keyed and the cable assemblies are in need of replacement. Are the latter available?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
MH01535.gif

Theoretically yes, but parts for '05 and earlier Sport Tracs are getting harder and harder to come by.

<

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Does your friend not have the keys for the cover?

<

btiedemann

Reaction score
City, State
Cordova,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
My friend told me his keys didn't work either of the locks anymore. So to get into the cab end, he pulled the emergency escape handle and I believe it has disabled that lock. The tailgate lock just quit working. He still has his Sport Trac and I would just feel funny about having a key to his truck.

<

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Oh his ignition key works the cover locks. Sorry I missed that.

<

GreenMando

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 V8
When I sold my tonneau I included a non chipped key to the new owner.

<

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
A decent locksmith should be able to pull the tumblers apart and key them to your ignition in a half hour or so. Cost me 50 bucks to get both done on my 07.

<

KRB_Borden

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 AWD Adrenalin
I've had a Sport Trac for 4 years and haven't used the tonneau cover key once, I'm not even sure if I have the key, as long as you leave your tailgate locked, there's no way anyone can steal your tonneau cover!

<

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
I've had a Sport Trac for 4 years and haven't used the tonneau cover key once, I'm not even sure if I have the key, as long as you leave your tailgate locked, there's no way anyone can steal your tonneau cover!

Thats exactly how my aftermarket on works. It may be a little extra effort but this route could save you some money.

<

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac

I use mine at least once a week in the summer. I have a mobicool stuffed with Pilsner back there all summer. Easy access for Slow pitch, camping and other events. The 12v plug in is a wonderful thing in the back of these trucks.

<

EARL97850

Reaction score
City, State
N.E. Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Limited V8
I use mine almost daily also.

Cya

<