07 sport trac v8 - new board member. Some Minor issues. Need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 sport trac v8 - new board member. Some Minor issues. Need help

Shagz

Reaction score
City, State
springfield,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 sport trac limited 4.6
Picked up an 07 sport trac a few months ago. 74000mi it was a "water damaged" vehicle. i was scared when i was told that. Friend of mine went with me to look at it that is a grease monkey gearhead. Truck outside was pristine up close after they washed it. Went to fire it up. click click, lol They jumped it and it purred like a kitten. Looked over the interrior, very clean. Leather in great shape. Top of the door pannels faded a bit & steering wheel needs some tlc. Maybe ill dye it black. Truck ran like a bear in the test run. Talked it over with my friend. He said he would buy it off of me if i was to sell it. After that comment i was sold.
Took truck home, for the first week ran good. After that i was getting a battery light here/there. During that super cold snap in PA, after work it didnt start. Turns out to be a bad ALT. Had that replaced from dealer got a used with 2yr warranty. never had a problem since.

Issues i have. Belt squeal on a cold start, stops after its warm. But i needed to romp on it to pass somone, then tac his 6k the belt squealed. Does that often i find out.

I did get a cyl 4 fault i needed to clear a week ago. truck does seem to buck at 40mph rpm at 1500 or so. after that no issues. From a dead stop rarely i get a slight hesitation.

Heating unit, sometimes i get a rattle like there is something in the vent from a cold start, seems to go away when truck is warm. Sometimes ill hit the fan speed on dash for more air, it will show max but it wont blow. i shut it off and it works like a champ.

I do have a leak in 3rd breaklight i plan to replace for LED anyway. When getting into the truck at night. i do find out not all the time the interrior lights come on when you fire up truck.

Plan to change oil over to mobile 1 full synthetic, but some auto parts places said to use gtx with lucas.
Changing plugs and coils over soon, might fix my hesitation, Also the fuel filter.
It has a K&N filter, not sure how old/dirty. would you change it for new paper or new k&n or wash it?

I love this truck, second ford in my lifetime. My old ford 150 i had as a teen driver 25 years ago ran like a beast. Only issue is when it rained it will die from moisture. never researched to fix it.

thanks for having me a part of this Group. Questions? Comments? Happy trails, lol

Throw on a continental belt. That will clear up the squeel. As for the buck, get the plugs changed asap. They are notorious for getting stuck in the heads. Odds are the coils need to be changed too.

Throw on a continental belt. That will clear up the squeel. As for the buck, get the plugs changed asap. They are notorious for getting stuck in the heads. Odds are the coils need to be changed too.

I have been reading up on the horror stories. Ran fuel cleaner past 2 tanks. next week will get tool and give her a go. ill let you know how i made out. thanks

this belt https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Elite-4060855-Poly-V-Serpentine/dp/B000C32J5O
also use motorcraft plugs?

Back