07 sport track issues.. charging, shifting etc.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 sport track issues.. charging, shifting etc..

mattf76

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford F250
Hello,
new here to forum. Looking for some help hopefully. My girlfriend purchased a used 07 explorer sport trac with the 4.0 V-6. dealer warranty is gone. After couple months of having this she's had a coupe issues that all came up together with it. her battery light came on as well as check charging system. Her console shift gives her fits coming out of park while pressing brake. She noticed its starting to drop mpg was going down her road and rarely in gas and its been steadily 15 mpg and has dropped to 12 and while idling in driveway has dropped below 12mpg. she also says it feels like its going to fall apart and doesn't shift correctly when she pushes gas to pass a vehicle or accelerate up hill. I replaced alternator last night with a used one and charging lights are off but she still gets the check charging system warning when turning on key. not while running, I checked with multimeter and its charging at 13.8 volts. Also new battery from the car dealer before purchase. I did have positive cable off while replacing alternator. Any chance some of this is linked to a sensor or ignition switch..? or has anyone else had these issues. Or does the vehicle have a limp mode..? There are no check engine lights on or flashing.
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the ford purchase. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out my signature for what you have to look forward too. The computer lies, I would do a real world check on mileage. As for the battery, When mine started acting up, it ended up being a corroded positive connector. It was under the sheathing so you couldn't see it but it was there. I dumped the end in a baking soda water solution for a half hour or so. Then i put those felt battery things on the battery and vasolined the posts up real good. 2.5 years now without a problem.

Hey there thanks. The battery is brand new and there is no corrosion on the teminals. unless your speaking of another area?
Matt

If you turn the key on and the engine is not running the light will illuminate. If,after you start the vehicle and the light goes off the charging system should be operating correctly. If it is running and the light is still on,there is a problem.

That's what I told her lol.. my word wasn't good enough as shes not mechanically inclined. Thanks. I think I may try cleaning MAF Sensor. Unplug first and test drive see if it helps anything.. if so then clean and or replace it..
Matt

Talking about the positive cable itself. Try dropping it in a cup of baking-soda and water. Mine started bubbling like a bugger. The corrosion was up under the sheathing on the cable itself, and you couldn't see it. After it was all cleaned up all was good.

ok I will try this as well!
Thanks
Matt

Back