07 V8 Transmission Line Leak at Radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 V8 Transmission Line Leak at Radiator

Black_Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac
I have a 2007 V8 with about 80k on it and i noticed some red fluid under it the other day - maybe a tablespoon worth. I started to dive in and noticed that BOTH the lines going into the radiator had drops of red fluid.

2012-09-14 17.52.12.jpg

I researched some and some people say just to replace the lines, some say its the radiator, others remove the lines and some how just use hose to bridge the gap.

I wanted to take off the connector that was holding the pipe into the radiator and it seems that when i start to loosen it, anti-freeze starts coming out. It appears that the transmission line feeds into the inner cooler with transmission fluid and the outer radiator is for anti-freeze.

Good thing though is that the antifreeze was green and didn't seem to have mixed with my transmission fluid.

My two questions:
  1. How do I best top off my fluid in the transmission while I figure out how to fix this?
  2. How do i fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also - I just looked and the transmission is labeled as 'X' which I found means '6R60' so I would need Motorcraft MERCON SP ATF (Ford: XT-6-QSP / MERCON SP)

Your tranny probably doesn't have a dipstick. Needs to be filled through the special fitting in the pan. Probably hasn't leaked enough to worry about it.

It's been happening for a little while now and the other day i noticed a trail of drops from my drive way to the end of the road (bout 1/4 mile).

I'm thinking it might be getting close to the point of needing to get the lines fixed and maybe a flush (i'm at about 80k miles).

I didn't know if i could do it myself - apparently not.

Ends up this was a replacement radiator and the people who installed it didn't use the clips to secure the lower pipes and so they 'bored' out the opening which was why it was leaking.

I have just discovered I have the same problem as far as the leak in the same location is concerned. Is there a fix for this? I had my radiator replaced back in May when I bought it. It had the infamous crack that seems to happen from time to time.
Do you think this would be covered time wise from when they replaced it. Or am I screwed. Love the truck, just seems every month sometime week, I have a new problem with this. I am really starting to regret this vehicle.
Seems to be a common problem as well. Please help, I can't afford my mechanic anymore. And I'm just not that talented to figure this out.:(

What the dealership told me was that the quick connects used on my radiator should of have locks on them that secure the transmission lines into the radiator. Since the previous owner/mechanic didn't secure the lines - the lines bored out the quick connects.

Ford tried putting the OEM connects on the replaced radiator but they wouldn't fit - SO they ended up replacing the radiator back to an OEM version that now has the locks.

I saw another forum where a guy just took some pipe and retrofitted connections - i'm not that handy.

I'm having this issue as well but I do have the locks in place and still getting the leaks at both hoses. I wonder what my option from here is?

Back