08 4.6 v8 eddie after water in transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 4.6 v8 eddie after water in transmission

Edvin

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 08 4.6 v8 eddie
Hey guys
1st - what transmission model i have 5r55 or 6r60 ?
2nd- the main issue- a month ago i felt something weird with the gear mainly from 1st to 2nd
I went to a shop and they saw that was a hole inside radiator oil gear cooler
And the water mixed with oil inside transmission.they change transmission oil twice and also the filter after that the problem gone, a week after now when the car comes to full stop i am getting some "kick" from behind
Went to the shop again and they told me to change the transmission assembly or to rebulied it
Any thoghts about that?

P.s i am from israel, i imported this car 2 years ago from n.y
Best regards

The kick from behind at a stop is a well documented 'feature'. The fix was to have the transmission reprogrammed at the dealer. I believe it fixed it for most people - it did for me at least. I'll search here - I know there is a big thread. And your trans is a 6R60 since you have the V8.

Found it:
2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

As Eddy said, the kick is just a nature of that transmission and it usually gets cured with a reflash. Some people just get used to it. I never had it fixed, happens from time to time but the tranny still works at almost 280k.

The problem is that i am from israel, and ford shops here not doing that reflash

Back