• Register Today It's free!

08 EB 4.6l. What to do next?

DominicDee

Reaction score
City, State
Massapequa Park, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone. Long time lurker here and love all the great info.

purchased an 08 4.6 ex this July and it’s great to be back in an explorer after driving a Sentra for 8 years. Although it’s an 08’ it has the older style 4.6l with the dreaded spark plug

So far I love this thing. Engine is strong, body/frame is very clean (normal amount of rust for my area). Transmission seems to be strong as well, minor shudder occasionally when releasing gas pedal at around 20-30mph, I’m assuming it’s about to shift then doesn’t due to foot being taken off the gas. Any other tranny hesitation/shudder was resolved with replacement of coils & plugs Shocks/struts are surprisingly well functioning considering they’re original. Exhaust pipes, Cats, and muffler are solid and quiet. Only down side is the gas consumption but I don’t drive it daily so it doesn’t bother me too much (train takes me to work!) plus I’m sure it’s gotten better with the work iv done so far.

bought with 115k and now has 118k. Upon purchase I went through all the typical stuff and did some preventative maintenance and minor repairs, all work done myself, which I will list below.

-New plugs and coils (motorcraft) none broke!!! Anti seize applied
-Transfer case and rear diff fluids changed
-Oil change...truck has been run with synthetic since new according to previous owner and receipts found in glovebox.
-Transmission filter replaced plus drain and fill (motorcraft)
-New fuel filter (motorraft)
-New sway bar links and bushings (moog)
-New lower ball joints front (mevotech)
-New outer tie rods front (moog)
-New hubs/bearings front (timken)
-Corrected cowl leak after finding water in spark plug wells
-Replaced squeaky idler pulley and belt tensioner (motorcraft)
-New fan belt (gates heavy duty)
-New air filter

-Truck had new tires and recent brake job when purchased.
-Intake manifold was replaced sometime befor I purchased truck. Only know about it because it has mountaineer written on the side of it.

-Truck needs blend door actuator replacement on passenger side but it’s honestly super low on the to do list, as in I may never replace it.

any thing else I should be looking into immediately. Common issues, part failures, etc...?

truck has no rear climate control/auxiliary heat. Which I’m very happy about as I see they’re prone to leaking.

great to be back on here after being explorer-less for so long.

thanks in advance,
Dominic

E5776213-4287-478F-898A-1203D6360C5A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone. Long time lurker here and love all the great info.

purchased an 08 4.6 ex this July and it’s great to be back in an explorer after driving a Sentra for 8 years. Although it’s an 08’ it has the older style 4.6l with the dreaded spark plug

So far I love this thing. Engine is strong, body/frame is very clean (normal amount of rust for my area). Transmission seems to be strong as well, minor shudder occasionally when releasing gas pedal at around 20-30mph, I’m assuming it’s about to shift then doesn’t due to foot being taken off the gas. Any other tranny hesitation/shudder was resolved with replacement of coils & plugs Shocks/struts are surprisingly well functioning considering they’re original. Exhaust pipes, Cats, and muffler are solid and quiet. Only down side is the gas consumption but I don’t drive it daily so it doesn’t bother me too much (train takes me to work!) plus I’m sure it’s gotten better with the work iv done so far.

bought with 115k and now has 118k. Upon purchase I went through all the typical stuff and did some preventative maintenance and minor repairs, all work done myself, which I will list below.

-New plugs and coils (motorcraft) none broke!!! Anti seize applied
-Transfer case and rear diff fluids changed
-Oil change...truck has been run with synthetic since new according to previous owner and receipts found in glovebox.
-Transmission filter replaced plus drain and fill (motorcraft)
-New fuel filter (motorraft)
-New sway bar links and bushings (moog)
-New lower ball joints front (mevotech)
-New outer tie rods front (moog)
-New hubs/bearings front (timken)
-Corrected cowl leak after finding water in spark plug wells
-Replaced squeaky idler pulley and belt tensioner (motorcraft)
-New fan belt (gates heavy duty)
-New air filter

-Truck had new tires and recent brake job when purchased.
-Intake manifold was replaced sometime befor I purchased truck. Only know about it because it has mountaineer written on the side of it.

-Truck needs blend door actuator replacement on passenger side but it’s honestly super low on the to do list, as in I may never replace it.

any thing else I should be looking into immediately. Common issues, part failures, etc...?

truck has no rear climate control/auxiliary heat. Which I’m very happy about as I see they’re prone to leaking.

great to be back on here after being explorer-less for so long.

thanks in advance,
Dominic

View attachment 328041
Do a thorough coolant flush and change the power steering fluid. Maybe preemptively change the temperature blend door actuator if it has manual climate control.

That looks like an EB paint job - just like my 2007. I didn't realize that in 08 they deleted the V8 badge and dropped the EB specific grill?
Actually, I just looked up a 2008 brochure and they didn't drop those things.
Interesting.

Do a thorough coolant flush and change the power steering fluid. Maybe preemptively change the temperature blend door actuator if it has manual climate control.

10-4
Am I correct to assume I should replace thermostat and water pump along with the flush?

I didn’t even think of the power steering fluid...thanks

That looks like an EB paint job - just like my 2007. I didn't realize that in 08 they deleted the V8 badge and dropped the EB specific grill?
Interesting.
Yea I wondered the same thing, but it’s got the full EB trim package. I assume it had gotten a little beat up in a fender bender hence the non original grill. Rear bumper also has a grapefruit sized dent in corner, puddle light (bottom of rear view mirror) on drivers side has been broken off as well.
All in all the price was too good to pass up!

Wheel bearings are known for going bad.

10-4
Am I correct to assume I should replace thermostat and water pump along with the flush?

I didn’t even think of the power steering fluid...thanks
I suppose replacing the water pump would not hurt. Definitely change the thermostat; make sure you use a motorcraft one rated for 190 degrees. Run a flush chemical through the cooling system a couple of days before you drain it. You might also consider flushing the brake fluid. At some point down the road you may consider changing the starter out since it gives no indication before it goes out. You will just come out one morning and be unable to crank it. If the thermostat housing is the original plastic one, change it out with a metal one. I bought one off of Ebay and have had no problems with it eight months later.

Interesting.
It shouldn't have a V8 badge on it, but on the back, it will have a badge that says RSC or something...I think all V8 models had that, The Explorer badge on the left side will indicate trim..it should have a small "Eddie Bauer" script on the bottom right. Comparatively, Limited and XLT trims will also display their trim level in the same place. It IS missing the correct grille, however. The EB grilles have two vertical slots, one each side next to the headlights. I think the corresponding years of Sport Tracs had that grille too if I'm not mistaken, regardless of trim.

Here's my own '06 EB, though it's at an angle, you can see the grille fairly well to see the difference between it and the XL/XLT style grille, aka 4 bar.
1HuygCh.jpg

It shouldn't have a V8 badge on it
No - it came from the factory with a V8 badge on the front fender/quarter. My 2007 has one on each side and according to the Ford brochure pictures the 2008 has it also. Maybe the 2006 that you have didn't have it but his would have had it.

Wheel bearings are known for going bad.
Just got done doing the fronts. The rears will get done eventually but unfortunately I dont have a press to do them myself, so I’m sure I’ll be shelling out some cash at a shop :(

It shouldn't have a V8 badge on it, but on the back, it will have a badge that says RSC or something...I think all V8 models had that, The Explorer badge on the left side will indicate trim..it should have a small "Eddie Bauer" script on the bottom right. Comparatively, Limited and XLT trims will also display their trim level in the same place. It IS missing the correct grille, however. The EB grilles have two vertical slots, one each side next to the headlights. I think the corresponding years of Sport Tracs had that grille too if I'm not mistaken, regardless of trim.

Here's my own '06 EB, though it's at an angle, you can see the grille fairly well to see the difference between it and the XL/XLT style grille, aka 4 bar.
View attachment 328227
That makes sense...I have the EB Signature emblem.

I suppose replacing the water pump would not hurt. Definitely change the thermostat; make sure you use a motorcraft one rated for 190 degrees. Run a flush chemical through the cooling system a couple of days before you drain it. You might also consider flushing the brake fluid. At some point down the road you may consider changing the starter out since it gives no indication before it goes out. You will just come out one morning and be unable to crank it. If the thermostat housing is the original plastic one, change it out with a metal one. I bought one off of Ebay and have had no problems with it eight months later.

ok cool, thanks for the info (housing and 190° stat) and the heads up about the starter! Its the worst feeling going out to the car only to find a no start.

the coolant flush has been on the list since I bought it, just gotta buy the rest of the parts involved. How has your refill experience been?...lots of burping?

A "no spill" funnel makes bleeding the cooling system effortless.
ok cool, thanks for the info (housing and 190° stat) and the heads up about the starter! Its the worst feeling going out to the car only to find a no start.

the coolant flush has been on the list since I bought it, just gotta buy the rest of the parts involved. How has your refill experience been?...lots of burping?

How has your refill experience been?...lots of burping?
If you don't have the funnel, I have found that jacking up the front left corner also makes it a non issue at least on my 4.0. The 4.6 may be different though.

Back