• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

08 explorer air vent

kyranstorm

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT Suv
I just got a 2008 explorer XLT today, and one thing I noticed, is the air vent on the left side of the steering wheel.. it closes if you slide it to the left (or pointing it towards the window), so that I cant point it at me, it stops when it's in the middle.. am I the only one with this or did they come this way?

The passenger side by the window shuts to the left, making it so it can be aimed at the person

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
I'm pretty sure you can gently pry it out and rotate it 180° and put it back in so it will point to you. I've had mine out a couple times, experimenting with different positions.

It's too bad the Explorer didn't get the rotating vents, similar to the Expedition of the same Generation.

kyranstorm

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT Suv
How would I go about pulling it out?

thebrakeman

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Yeah, me, too, except '06 Mounty.
Anytime I've fiddled with it, I feel like I'm going to break it.

kyranstorm

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT Suv
I cant figure out how to remove it. The top half can be pulled out a little but the bottom.half feels like it will snap if I pry it..

Cade _ATL

Reaction score
City, State
ATLANTA GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer EB V8 4x4
It won't flip 180 degrees, been there tried that...

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4.6 3v
It does indeed snap out, sometimes the retaining tabs break. Be gentle but firm. Like it's a puppy, LOL