• Register Today It's free!

08 explorer air vent

kyranstorm

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT Suv
I just got a 2008 explorer XLT today, and one thing I noticed, is the air vent on the left side of the steering wheel.. it closes if you slide it to the left (or pointing it towards the window), so that I cant point it at me, it stops when it's in the middle.. am I the only one with this or did they come this way?

The passenger side by the window shuts to the left, making it so it can be aimed at the person

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure you can gently pry it out and rotate it 180° and put it back in so it will point to you. I've had mine out a couple times, experimenting with different positions.

It's too bad the Explorer didn't get the rotating vents, similar to the Expedition of the same Generation.

How would I go about pulling it out?

Yeah, me, too, except '06 Mounty.
Anytime I've fiddled with it, I feel like I'm going to break it.

I cant figure out how to remove it. The top half can be pulled out a little but the bottom.half feels like it will snap if I pry it..

It won't flip 180 degrees, been there tried that...

It does indeed snap out, sometimes the retaining tabs break. Be gentle but firm. Like it's a puppy, LOL

Back