• Register Today It's free!

08 Explorer front end grinding

roswell sun

Reaction score
City, State
Hamden ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer V8 Limited
I have an 08 4x4 with 90k miles. I have a loud grinding noise mostly noticeable at low speeds. Doesn't change with braking or turning. I have the spare tire on the front and its a different size rim and different brand tire. I'm wondering if that's a problem. I'm going to put the spare on the back and see if that helps. Seemed to start when I used 4wheel high this weekend. Won't go away. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the differential making the noise. If the tire is the same size then rest (not rim size) then it should be ok. on 4x4 you want all tires to be the same. Kinda like on front wheel drive vehicles if you had an undersized spare you never put it on the front drive wheels, you put it on the back or you may damage the diff.

I would get the other tire fixed as soon as you can and try to not use 4 high or low until then. Also i would not put it on the back if the tire diameter is different due to the rear being the main drive wheels.

The noise is happening even in 4x4 auto...which is regular driving. Other than getting the right tires, which I will do asap do you think I damaged the differential?

I just realized the spare on the front is a 245 and the others are 235. I'm going to throw the plugged wheel on again and see if it makes a difference. I'll order the new tire in the meantime. Do you think I messed up front differential? I drove maybe 5 miles in 4 wheel yesterday and under 20 miles altogether on the spare in 4x4 auto

You can check the fluid level in the diff, could be a U joint like Tech by Trade said. Diff damage from the different tire sizes isn't likely....I wonder if it's the stability control kicking in at low speeds due to the tire mismatch. See if swapping back to the wheel with the 235 tire helps.

ok i swapped out the tire and ordered a new one as well. the noise is gone when in 4x4 auto but back on when in 4x4 high. there are still 3 types of tires on it. let me explain...when i bought the truck it had 2 different tires 3 ok and one new. i replaced the rear ones with some new general grabbers and figured id just replace the front ones as soon as money would allow. its been about 2 months with one very worn front tire, 2 new tires on rear and 1 cheap chinese newer tire. anyways ill be on 4 brand new generals on thursday. ill see what difference that makes if any. how hard is the ujoint to replace? does it need to be pressed in? if its not hard or expensive i may do that for starters. anything to involved and ill take it to ford in hopes my warranty covers it. i wont dare take it to ford with the 3 different tires on it fearing they will say that voids the warranty in this case

U joint is easy. much easier to do if you have a tool to do it under the truck. Pulling the front CV sucks bad. Maybe 20 minutes with a Ujoint tool, and a 15 dollar premium U joint. Replace all 4 tires at the same time. If they are not all the same the traction control will kick in, and the 4x4 will engage.

Back