08 explorer trans cooler upgrade? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

08 explorer trans cooler upgrade?

roswell sun

Reaction score
City, State
Hamden ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer V8 Limited
HI all! ill try to keep this as short as possible. I recently had a radiator installed. about a month after the radiator install I blew a trans coolant line. had both lines replaced with oem ford lines. aftermarket radiator. anyways one of the lines started leaking at the radiator connection. apparently this part is unavailable and you have to buy a new radiator...which I just did a few months back. the truck is going in for bodywork from an unrelated situation (was love tapped from behind). tried everything to stop the leak and ended up using some jb weld on the fitting. working for now. anyways I want it done right and don't want to buy another radiator. my thoughts are just bypassing the raidiator altogether and adding a B&M tranny cooler. Has anyone done this and does it sound like a smart thing to do? any advice on how to hook the trans cooler to the new line? do I cut them at the rubber part and just barb them in with hose clamp fittings or am I asking for a whole new problem? its an 08 Explorer V8 Limited with 80k. Love this truck. its my baby and I want it right. Thanks in advance

roswell sun

Reaction score
City, State
Hamden ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer V8 Limited
was thinking the B&M large super cooler 14,400 btu comes to like 80 bucks shipped after my discounts. is this one overkill?

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
was thinking the B&M large super cooler 14,400 btu comes to like 80 bucks shipped after my discounts. is this one overkill?

nothing wrong with overkill as I doubt that any cooler will cool the fluid enough to prevent the trans from getting to the proper operating temps even in a cold winter location... and if it does you can always block the airflow like they do to diesel school buses