08 Explorer V8 transmission issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Explorer V8 transmission issue

JoelG

Reaction score
City, State
nyack ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer with the V8 Motor. 135,000 miles.

For starters, can anyone tell me what transmission is in this car?

Im experiencing a trans issue that seems somewhat different than the typical issues most people are writing about. My car gets a shuttering like feeling when cruising along at 35-45 MPH. It feels like it is jumping between two gears although it is not harsh. It doesn't happen on acceleration or deceleration. Only when riding along and maintaining a particular speed. There are no lights and Aamco says it is not throwing any other codes. Aamco says it is the trans and wants close to 5000.00 to rebuild.
Although i agree it is the transmission im not sure it would need a complete rebuild and the car is not worth 5g.
I am reading quite a bit about valve body issues, solenoid issues as well as a servo needing a brass sleeve.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. It is a great car but too old and too many miles to put a ton of money in to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don’t let Aamco rebuild anything. Find a local, reputable, independent shop. They will diagnose it free, and it’ll be WAY under 5,000.

A rebuild of your current trans should no more than $3000 at an independent trans shop.

Let me chime in with my "limited" experience with those cars.

My 2006 v8 has the same motor and tranny as yours.
The tranny is 6R60, and I have 273k happy miles on it and it's going still strong pulling trailers and plowing snow for the past 11 years.
They are great trannies.
Every 2-3 years I get the same symptoms, and everybody says I need a new tranny when it kicks and jerks.
It was just happening again last month, and no codes initially.
Set of new Motorcraft plugs and coils fixed it and the car runs smooth again like new.
The brass sleeves apply to 5R55S on the v6 models.
Occasionally the valve body needs to be replaced on the 6R when the solenoids start failing on those and create shifting issues. You can get a re manufactured valve body (Mechatronic) for $ 500 from an online vendor, or $ 2200 from Ford :)
In the worst case it may be the valve body $ 500, or the torque converter $ 300. You can get the entire rebuilt tranny for about $ 2000. All of these of course are just part prices, labor is extra.

Joel -

I'm not a certified Explorer mechanic, but your issue is a carbon copy, extremely typical problem that exists when your trans fluid need replacement. Before you mortgage your house or sell your first-born child to pay for any transmission work, change the transmission fluid and filter. You'll be amazed at how fast your symptoms vanish. I'm surprised no one mentioned this already.

My 07 Ex had the exact same symptoms you described and I replaced (not flushed) the fluid and filter about 40,000 miles ago. It has run like a dream ever since. Try the inexpensive route first.

Jim
Jacksonville, FL

Dude check your plugs and coils first.

Transmission low on fluid or with bad fluid can act like that too. Probably cavitation/ventilation in the toque converter.

A dying coil or a plug well full of water acts just like that. Happened to me loads of times.

I used to carry a roll of paper towels and a 8mm wrench in the car in case I had to dry out a plug well after a hard rain. No Joke.

I made this video showing how I stopped that from happening, if that turns out to be your issue watch the video. Hope its not your transmission. Good luck.

As others have posted, check plugs and coils first for moisture or water in plug well. I had the same problem and suspected it was a transmission issue, but turned out to be a misfire on #8 cylinder. #8 and #4 cylinder will at times get water in plug well from heavy rain or washing the car. Also, you might do a OBD II check for CEL codes. It's possible to have a code and no CEL light. If you don't have a scanner, many auto parts places will do a check for free. Changing the plugs or coils is an easy job, but you have to be very patient and TAKE YOUR TIME. The night before, turn each plug about a quarter turn and then fill spark plug well with carb cleaner or PB blaster. Next day, tighten each plug one at a time and then loosen it about the same amount. Working it back and forth until you are able to remove the plug.
But again, I stress take you time, it will take some time and the plugs will be very tight at first and then eventfully come out. I recommend using the latest upgraded Motorcraft plugs, several locations are posted on eBay.

Just had an 08 in with the same symptoms. Rythmic vibration around 40mph but not a skip like a missfire. Change your fluid and filter, it fixed the one I did. Use Ford only fluid when it calls for SP Fluid.

Back