08 LTD dumb question. Correct tire pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 LTD dumb question. Correct tire pressure

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
Yeah I know. Dumb question.
2008 LTD 4.6 with 70k miles. Bought it with 60k. Tires are BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A.

Dealer says leave pressure at 27 PSI cold (they set it there).

Tires are at 27 psi cold. Fronts "look" a bit low.

Tires say Max 44.

Door jamb says 32.

Manual says "see door jamb".

Car rides great, No handling issues, No discernable tire wear issues, TPMS system functioning normally.

Thoughts? Tnx.

P.../NH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went by what was on the door jamb and saw a bit of an increase in fuel economy (fronts were at 27 when I first bought the truck). Ride was a bit stiffer over bumps but nothing to worry about.

^This. Go by what the door jamb says.

Dealer wants the ride to be smoother, hence lower pressure. As little as two psi can make a difference in mpg. I go by what is on the door jamb.

I just got back from a trip to Texas Gulf Coast at Matagorda Bay. I get 21 mpg on highway and 18 all around. I drive to conserve gas. I keep the tires at 35 psi.

dealer should of filled the tires to the door jab spec......

you should keep them at the door jam spec.

also its an 08 no tpms light at 27?

TPMS usually lights up when the pressure is about 9 PSI below factory so his 5 PSI difference would not be enough to trigger it.

my door says 32psi for my '10's ST and Mounty. I actually run about 35psi.. . . been doing it for years. Its a question of MPG or soft ride. 27psi seems a little low, i'd at least raise it to 32.

Update: Put them all at 32. I notice no difference. Inride or mileage. Might be too soon to tell.

Also, yes at 27 psi. no TPMS. I lowered one tire to 20. TPMS came on.

Thanks.

Back