08 LTD Getting new tires soon. TPMS questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 LTD Getting new tires soon. TPMS questions

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
Greetings,

I am starting to shop for replacement tires for my 08 LTD (18" rims). I have the BF Goodrich with the cracked sidewalls. I like the tires overall. (Quiet, long lasting, nice handling) but don't like the cracks in the sidewall. From what I've researched even the new ones get the cracks after a while, well before their tread is worn. I am thinking about replacing them with Firestone Destinations.

Anyway, Several places charge for a TPMS service when mounting the tire. Is this really necessary or just a revenue generator for the installer? What does it entail?

I've read some posts where the installers actually CHANGE the TPMS sensors, and then have difficulty getting the vehicle (SJB) to pair with them properly. Among other things.

If the TPMS service isn't REALLY necessary, I'd just as soon, have them be careful during mount and dismount so I don't have to pay for the service, or go through the aggravation trying to pair a different sensor with the SJB.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My $0.02 about the TPMS: change them. The sensors' batteries are only good for 5 to 6 years, so you're heading towards having to replace them soon anyway. When I replaced my wheels and tires, I had aftermarket sensors installed and had no issue training the systems to accept the new sensors.

Is the type of TPMS model specific" IE do you know if I have the "valve stem" type or the "band" type? I have 18" rims. Tnx.

On this generation I believe that they all came from the factory with the band style and most individuals, when they change them out, go to the less easily damaged and less expensive valve stem style. It is not so much about the style that is used but the communication compatibility with the vehicle.

Hi Flag, tnx for the quick reply. Do you know what a typical TPMS service involves? Is it just changing the batteries, or swapping them out ?

If the tire place that does the mounting charges for (and does)the TPMS service, do you know if it usually includes the reprogramming? I have read here about difficulties after the tires have been serviced.

Tnx

TPMS service on the band style involves completely changing out the unit to the more preferable stem style and reprogramming all the new units to the vehicle. Most problems occur when the old original band style sensors are reused and somehow get damaged in the process of putting new tires on. An automotive shop, by federal law, cannot let a vehicle leave until all the sensors are functioning properly after servicing your tires.

Thanks Flag..

I had a band break but the TPMS was not damaged. Recently changed to BFG Rugger Trails and left the TPMS alone.

Interesting that you got good life out of your BFG tires.
I too am happy with the performance, noise-level (low) of the BFG Long-Trails. But I estimate they will be at the wear indicators this fall, which will less than 30,000 miles. They are warrantied for 60,000 miles. As long as Discount tires gives me the prorate discount called for, I'll probably stick with them. They were fantastic in all weather conditions.

But how much mileage to you expect to get on yours before you replace?
Are they the LongTrails? Other?
I have some cracking where the tread meets the sidewalls. But they are only surface, and do not go into the sidewall itself. Does not look unsightly to me, and not a safety concern (to me).

If anyone is interested. These are my tires. BFG Long Trail. All four are like this. been this way since I got the car in April of 2011. They do appear to be slowly getting worse.

https://picasaweb.google.com/pjw73nh/ExplorerTires?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNz2kZPowKeuRQ&feat=directlink

I have poked around on the interwebs and found that BFG knows about the issue, and they maintain it is not a safety hazard. They do offer a prorated replacement schedule for them if an owner so chooses, but it is off of full retail, and with some minor shopping around, you can get the same tires for less at various outlets without the prorated offer.

Many folks have reported that in states with a state inspection, they have been rejected because of the cracks. Fortunately, I found a reasonable inspector who understands.

I've still got a fair amount of life in them, but I suspect by the end of the summer, I'll replace them.

UPDATE: Just bit the bullet. I replaced all my tires with Continental CrossContact LX20. So far so good (at 15 miles), I'll update as time goes on. 92k miles on the odo now. Not sure of the full mileage on the old tires as I got the car used with them on it. But they were down to the wear bars.

In an unfortunate way, the new trires revealed what I had suspected. My "road noise" is something other than tires.... :-(

Back