08 Mountaineer Gas Cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Mountaineer Gas Cap

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer
Not sure if the Explorers are the same, but my 08 Merc doesn't have a cap. The fuel door doesn't lock that has to be open from the inside of the car, and it uses a vacuum seal of some sort instead of the cap. My question is, is there any way i can put a locking cap on it? It has a little plastic thing where the nozzle goes so it looks like it will prevent a cap being put on. Not sure if this makes sense, I'll try and get a pic to show it better.

Here's some info I found on it from a review site..

Never Lose Your Gas Cap Again
The 2008 Mercury Mountaineer comes to market with a capless fuel filling system (late availability). This technology not only eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put the gas cap back on after fueling, but it also saves time during refueling by doing away with unscrewing and replacing a fuel filler cap.

The system could prove to benefit the environment as well. The capless fuel system provides a much better seal than a cap, as it isn’t opened until the fuel pump nozzle is inserted. When capless fueling is completed, the nozzle is removed and the system seals shut automatically.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, I would like to see more details.

BTW, I think that the system would be harder to siphon from, not impossible, just harder. It likely would require the same size of inserted object as a filling nozzle to open the internal valve. A thief would need an open ring to insert before a siphon hose. Easy to make but not a regular tool for a crook, yet.

Here's a pic. I did put gas in there once from a little 3 gallon can, and you do have to use a little funnel type piece that comes in the car.

IMG_1093.JPG

So the gas door cover doesn't have a locking device? That should at least need to be released from inside the vehicle.

Correct. I don't like not having that extra security from having somebody put something in the tank or taking gas out.

If you could find that the gas door is the same size as another Ford that has the latch, that would be better than a custom gas cap etc. Try the Crown Vic, I added a latched door on my 95 from a different Crown Vic, the wiring was no big deal. Painting the door was the hardest part, matching the paint.

Who loses gas caps anyways? I didn't realize that it was a worldwide epidemic needing an overhaul of the fueling system... I think they're running out of things to do with cars...

Don, do you have more info on how you added your door? I like that idea...

The Crown Vic change was easy because some had a latch and some didn't. Thus the doors were identical in shape/contour. To do something with the Explorer you would need to find a door which is the same shape and contour. If such a door exists from a car with a latch on it, then the rest is not too hard. You can use the OEM release button from any car like that, an electrical signal trips a solenoid back at the fuel door.

Who loses gas caps anyways? I didn't realize that it was a worldwide epidemic needing an overhaul of the fueling system... I think they're running out of things to do with cars...

Don, do you have more info on how you added your door? I like that idea...
I don't think its an issue of losing gas caps. The system makes it harder to a) steal gas from the vehicle b) inserting a diesel nozzle (only unleaded will fit) c) keeps vapors from escaping and most likely d) saves Ford a dollar or two per vehicle since they no longer need caps.

Ford was supposed to be working on a locking gas cap. I don't know if its available yet or not but check with the dealer. However I think that the average fuel thief would simply give up when he realized he cant just run a hose into the tank.

You might have a simpler option I thought of earlier. If that is just a feature change, then see if you can just swap to the other part that is different. It may be that the plastic filler neck(pocket) is the special part. That has the fuel inlet and drain part of it, and attaches to the body with the fuel door. If that is all that changed, see if you can find that used from another Explorer. That would give you a gas cap and allow a normal locking cap to work. See if that is the same for all Explorers, and how many years back.

capless fuel filler

08 Mountaineer,

Fordaccessoriesstore.com does list a fuel plug that fits over filler neck. I noticed this last week when I was on site looking at something. Hope this information helps.

Ronco

explorer has this capless gas tank. My only main concern is that we drive alot of back roads. I dont want it to fill up with dirt and mud and other debris.

Back