• Register Today It's free!

08 sport trac limited 4x4 inop

Fords77

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 sport trac
I have a 2008 sport trac limited. The 4x4 is not working in it. The lights on the dash say it's engaged in the different ranges. I checked the transfer case shift motor and it is working. I don't think there are lockable hubs on this system, correct? It's like the trac control computer works but mechanically it does not engage the front wheels. I have been stuck many times this winter and would try the 4x4 and never noticed any difference. I finally had someone stand outside and did not see the wheels turn. Every time I start to slide or something the trac light comes on and throttles the engine. I am missing something here and don't know what to check next. I browsed back a year or so in the forums and did not see anything. I may have missed three kids are ver distracting lol. Sorry if I reposted something that has already been answered

Got under there today and pulled the transfer case shift motor off and I can freely move the selector by hand from 4high to neutral and almost to 4low. Put the motor back on pushed the 4low button and went to pull the motor off to see if it changed to 4low and as soon as the last bolt came out the motor had tension on it like it was still trying to shift to 4low. I am assuming its in the transfer case now? Any ideas?

Back