• Register Today It's free!

'08 Stereo Issue

WayBeau

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
A few years ago (yes I've lived with it that long) my lovely children mistook the factory CD player in my XLT for a piggy bank and deposited their life savings. If I have to listen to "Wheels on the Bus" one more time I might lose it. I'm not terribly attached to the stereo, but would like to try and get the coins out of it if possible.

My question is this, how can I get it out of the dashboard without removing the entire dash? Is there a hidden 'release' that will let me pull it?

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For sure you'll have to remove the top or back cover of the stereo to get coins out. Do NOT touch the CD laser lens even if you think you're just wiping it clean. Hopefully the unit will just go back to playing CDs.

For sure you'll have to remove the top or back cover of the stereo to get coins out. Do NOT touch the CD laser lens even if you think you're just wiping it clean. Hopefully the unit will just go back to playing CDs.

Honestly, I might just replace it with something better. I'm not going to put much effort into trying to get the coins or the CD out, especially if it involves removing too many parts of the stereo.

Wished I saw this earlier. You can buy a new CD player for that Online from a place in California. Less than $100 with warranty. Its just the CD cage which is simple to replace. It sits on top of the radio and plugs right into the radio. I hate to say it, but an idiot can do the change. I've had to replace 3 already... finally in Jan 2014 I did some research and found the place.

Back