09 explorer stalling at stop light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

09 explorer stalling at stop light

airforce1

Reaction score
City, State
jon.leone777@gmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 explorer
Hello folks'
Recently we have been having an issue with our 09 explorer (4.0 sohc) stalling when we stop or slowing down to make a turn. The vehicle starts back up when put back in park. There didn't seem to be any hesitation before the stall, engine just stopped. We have had vehicle for some time an has about 60,000 miles and never any issues. I've been told it might be IAC valve but from what I've read it doesn't have one. Someone else mentioned may sensor. Any insight on this is would be great. This is a safety issue as we lose power steering when stall occurs. Thanks Jon

Get a live monitor code reader so you can see whats going on when the engine stalls. Princess auto up here sells them for about 70 bucks. They can tell you exactly what is going on. I use an autolink al419 myself.

Possible vacuum leak on the brake booster (ripped diaphragm?) since it does it when slowing down with your foot on the brake? It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor since you will be in the area to clean the throttle body. Like already mentioned, see if it has any codes. You don't have to purchase one since several auto parts stores let you rent the code reader scanner. Autozone typically will read/look for DTC's for free.

Back