0W20 Oil

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Does everyone really use 0W20 oil in their Explorers?

In my 2007 Eddie Bauer, with the V8, and 120,000 excellent miles, I ran 5W30 most of the time after the first 2-3 changes with the 0W20. Seemed to run smoother, and no ill effects on the gas mileage. Used full synthetic too.

I plan to change the oil at the first 1,000 mile (I always do this early change with my new cars) mark with 0W20 and maybe 1 or 2 more, and then switch to 5W30.

Comments? Good? Bad?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remember that 0w20 and 5w20 and 10w20 perform the same at operating temps. 0w20 flows better at colder temps. That's the only difference between the three. People tend to erroneously call a 0wXX oil "thin".

I've used 0w30 in both my Explorer and wife's Subaru with great results for years.

So back to your original question, changing from a 0w20 (i.e. 20 weight oil) to 5w30 (30 weight oil) means you're going from a less viscous to a more viscous oil. In other words, a "thinner" oil at operating temps to a "thicker" oil at operating temps.

What is recommended for the '11? If 5w20 like so many other Fords these days, I'd stick with 0w20 if that's what you like. All it will give you is better extreme cold weather starts (as it flows better when it's VERY cold). At operating temps, it's identical to 5w20.

From what I have seen with the newer engines they recommend 5w20 and 0w20 only. With the way new engines operate and the lower tolerances, using a thicker oil would do more harm than good. The problem that I see is valve starvation and eventually valve and guide break down. A friend of mine had a customer constantly put 10w30 in his ford Taurus which takes 5w20. The guy ended up having to replace the entire top end because all the seals blew out on a really cold day.

Personally, I would stick with what the car recommends for the weight but, for when you change it, it really is up to you

All great advice. I swap to 0w-20 for winter, and run 5w20 in the summer.

0W only gives you benefits in super cold, Alaska winter type temperatures. 5W has great range too for winter in all places except maybe Antarctica.

I only use 0W30 because that's the only weight that Amsoil's "Signature Series" comes in. Aldive used it for eons in Florida so cold weather starts were never on his mind.

I use the 0W-20 since the Motorcraft cold cranking viscosity is pretty thick compared to other oils.

I use the 0W-20 since the Motorcraft cold cranking viscosity is pretty thick compared to other oils.

I'm going to use this when I do my next ANNUAL oil change:

asm_qt_640px.jpg

"Only" has a recommended drain interval of 25,000 miles vs 35,000 for the Signature Series. Given that I've got 80,000 miles on my 12 year old truck, I should be fine. ;)

Costs a buck less/quart than the Signature Series too.

Amsoil has finally gone to the 5w20 recommendation for the 5.0 now. They used to recommend 5w30 as per the original Ford spec for quite a while after Ford changed their recommendation.

Sold... Mine has apparently always been running synthetic since 18,000 miles, so I'll toss some AMS in next time.

Celly,

what filter do you use that allows you to go 25,000 miles? I've always been interested to know what filters people use and if they change it more frequently than the oil.

Celly,

what filter do you use that allows you to go 25,000 miles? I've always been interested to know what filters people use and if they change it more frequently than the oil.

Dead Link Removed are rated for 25,000 miles (the 15,000 mile filters are for Toyotas and a few other imports). I've never even come close to putting on that sort of mileage in a year. I change my oil at one year and have for several years in both my truck, and my wife's Subaru as well.

I don't fall for all the "scaremongering" that goes on in the forums based on anecdotal and emotional responses when people say you have to change your oil/filter at much lower intervals. I actually save money by doing one oil change/year. While I've never had a UOA performed, I know many that have using this oil/filter combo (Aldive comes to mind) with no issues.

Why dump good oil and filters in the trash when you don't have to?

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed are rated for 25,000 miles (the 15,000 mile filters are for Toyotas and a few other imports). I've never even come close to putting on that sort of mileage in a year. I change my oil at one year and have for several years in both my truck, and my wife's Subaru as well.

I don't fall for all the "scaremongering" that goes on in the forums based on anecdotal and emotional responses when people say you have to change your oil/filter at much lower intervals. I actually save money by doing one oil change/year. While I've never had a UOA performed, I know many that have using this oil/filter combo (Aldive comes to mind) with no issues.

Why dump good oil and filters in the trash when you don't have to?

Dead Link Removed

I was just wondering if you were using a paper element filter or actually using a fiber one to go that long of a distance on oil changes. I know Walmart sells mobile 15,000 mile oil but then throws a fram filter as the combo. I was just wondering what your take was on it in general. Seen too many engines go to waste from people using poor quality filters and going extended intervals.

I was just wondering if you were using a paper element filter or actually using a fiber one to go that long of a distance on oil changes. I know Walmart sells mobile 15,000 mile oil but then throws a fram filter as the combo. I was just wondering what your take was on it in general. Seen too many engines go to waste from people using poor quality filters and going extended intervals.

I would never subject my truck to a Fram filter.

These Amsoil Ea filters are highly rated. I don't lose sleep over keeping them in for a year.

I would not take the risk on my own vehicle. I barely felt comfortable putting them on a customers vehicle. There was this one time a customer came in with their Mercedes Benz. The guy had let his daughter take the vehicle to school in Florida (he was from Massachusetts).

The vehicle ended up going 25,000 miles on one oil change with one of the Fram paper element filters. When I loosened filter cap and took the filter tower out, its almost a foot long piece of plastic, there was no filter attached just the plastic caps that go on either end of the filter to "hold it together". The rest of the filter was either inside the pan or it was floating around in the filter housing area. The guy thought that because he used synthetic, and because it was a 9.5quart system, the car should have gone the correct "dealership recommended interval" of 15 to 20 thousand miles.

Lets just say he left with a big not attached to his invoice stating the issue.

Back