• Register Today It's free!

1-2" drop on a 04 XLT

blitzk

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I have 285/35/22's on there now... It's showing a ton of wheel well and I want to lower it a little bit.

I was looking at the belltech springs, but was wondering if 2-2.5" drop would be too much for the big wheels?

Also, the rear wheels have some camber in them now, and would only get worse with lowered springs. Would the ingall camber adjusters be enough with the drop too?

thanks guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed Ground Force 1.6" drop. I have an 02 XLT V8 4 door. I have 275/45/20 tires. The net effect is a 1 1/2 front clearance and a 3" rear clearence. My wheel height is 29.74. Your tire 285/35/22 have a wheel height of 29.85. ( See this website http://www.americanracing.com/techcenter/DiameterCalculator/DiameterCalculator.htm) Not much difference. So you will get a similar clearance as I do with the Ground Force. Also I am very happy with the handling and ride. Does not bottom out (I did change the shocks at the same time I have 100K on the truck). I originally wanted the Bell Tech's but was afraid the front may be too low. I also tow a boat so I did not want to go too low in the back. Hope this helps....

Cool, thanks...

Did you need to buy a camber kit for it?

No. I have about 10K on the setup and no adverse wear. They just did a 4 wheel alignment... BTW my truck is 2 wheel drive not 4wd.

I have a 94 Ranger and want to lower the heck out of it. What ddo I need to do guys. I'm new here and want to drop the rear and front (Of course). I keep reading about a torsion flip. Is that for the rear?

blitzk get the BellTech kit for sure. i think you'll find the 1.6 inch drop that the Ground Force kit offers is not enough, most find out too late and end up upgrading to the BellTech kit. also the BellTech kit provides a more level look and the Ground Force tends to be a more raked look. your tire clearance will be just fine. as far as the alignment goes the alignment place should tell you if they had trouble getting the alignment right or if you'll need additional hardware. after the alignment you'll want to find out how many degrees you are off if any. good luck !

Whats so bad about a ton of wheel well? Any pics at the moment?

bobcat your 94 Ranger has a totally different suspension than that of the 2002-up Explorer that we're talking about in this thread. your Ranger has a twin i-beam front suspension almost identical to that used on the 91-94 Explorers. you need drop i-beams and drop coils to drop the front of your Ranger. in the rear you'll want to utilize what's called a "flip kit". plus you'll need new shocks front and rear. check out BellTech and DJM, they both make kits for your Ranger.

Its funny i just noticed in another lowering thread someone else trying to ask a question about how to lower their truck, kinda hijacking the thread.

Explorer_Guru said:
blitzk get the BellTech kit for sure. i think you'll find the 1.6 inch drop that the Ground Force kit offers is not enough, most find out too late and end up upgrading to the BellTech kit. also the BellTech kit provides a more level look and the Ground Force tends to be a more raked look. your tire clearance will be just fine. as far as the alignment goes the alignment place should tell you if they had trouble getting the alignment right or if you'll need additional hardware. after the alignment you'll want to find out how many degrees you are off if any. good luck !

I bought the GF kit a while ago, but havn't had it installed yet....

I guess I could get the belltech and sell my GF kit?

I tow a boat with my X, so I'm wondering if maybe the 2.5" rear lowering might be too much...?

i would measure the current fenderwell to tire clearance in the rear subtract 2.5 inches from that, factor in for any squat you get when you tow the boat and see where you come out

Back