• Register Today It's free!

1.7 roller rockers or cam swap

96ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
So I have a 96 explorer 5.0 I'm looking for a bit more tq, should I go with 1.7 roller rockers or a cam?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have a 96 explorer 5.0 I'm looking for a bit more tq, should I go with 1.7 roller rockers or a cam?

96ex5.0,
Here's a brake down for you

Roller Rocker Positives: :)
Easy to install the rockers arms
Some gains in TQ and HP

Roller Rocker Negatives if EFI: :(
Have to install taller valve covers to clear rocker arms
Have to install phenolic intake spacer to clear valve covers
Hope you have enough clearance between the intake manifold and hood

Camshaft Positives: :)
Noticable gains in TQ and HP
Friends with be impressed you changed the camshaft

Camshaft Negatives: :(
Pain in the ass to do
Alot of parts to remove
May need special tools (to remove fan clutch and broken bolts and studs)
May need new water pump (depend on mileage)
May need new water pump bolts and studs (depend on condition)
May need new timing cover (stuck on due to mileage)
May need new timing cover bolts and studs (depend on condition)
May need new timing chain and gears
(might as well replace it since you're in there)
If you went to crazy on the camshaft you may need to reprogram your ECU

Enjoy your project which ever way you go. :D

Lol read my sig, and cam swap is nothing but I want just a bit more out of it so figured 1.7 rockers.

Carb swap? Yuck.

But cam any day over just rockers

Since you've gone carb, why not just do both?

Even the slightest jump in cam size will require a valve spring change as well. You may find yourself going down the rabbit hole of...well, I'm already here, probably should do this." Having already gotten rid of most of the junk in the way with a carb swap, the valve covers, cam and valve springs should be a breeze. A cam will give you more than what the 1.7 rockers will, but that might lead to head work...there's the rabbit hole again.

did some searching.
adding 1.7 rockers puts the Explorer camshaft near the
specs of a Mustang stock HO camshaft.

Wow here it is almost two years later and I still haven't decided lol. I am leaning towards a cam but can't decide on what one. My odometer quite working right after l started this thread at 285k miles, I have a low mileage gtp from a 2k to put in it. I still can't decide on a cam, I have spent hours looking and reading on it. I like the e303 but also like one of the comp cams cam. I'll have to get the number later. At the same time I'm tempted to just stay stalk cam wise, I turn allot of heads when I go to the local off road sight or when I drag a freight liner out of the mud.

why don't you call comp cams and tell them what you want they probably know than most on this forum.
roscoe

I have done that a few times and every time it's a different cam, some with massive lift way more than I want. But I will give it a go again.

You could also contact Buddy Rawls and see how much for one of his "fishing truck" cams. The stock cam would be better than the e303 in an offroad rig, imo.

I've got a "stage 1" comp cam in my ranger. There's a thread on here I made during the swap and the fun I had. It has .512 lift and woke the truck up nicely over stock with 1.6 roller rockers. I lost a weeeee bit of low end torque for probably an additional 40+ hp above 4k rpm.

I've got a "stage 1" comp cam in my ranger. There's a thread on here I made during the swap and the fun I had. It has .512 lift and woke the truck up nicely over stock with 1.6 roller rockers. I lost a weeeee bit of low end torque for probably an additional 40+ hp above 4k rpm.

512 lift?! good crap lol! i think the one i have is .555, and thats a blower cam lol

Here's the cam card for mine

15197099358931362501529.jpg

Here's the cam card for mine

View attachment 156269
A 212/218 cam is a nice stick for a mild 302, to maintain idle etc. That's not big at all, but the two OEM cams are in the 204 or so range.

For the OP, I'd stick with a bolt down rocker, those are much more reliable versus non-custom pushrod adjustable rockers(which is how most people install them). The 1994/95 Cobra rockers are kind of easy to find still, and those fit under stock VC's. I have a friend with a set from a used 95 Cobra engine.

With that engine out to go in, I'd just hunt a used 302 HO cam, you'll like it enough to be happy with that. The timing chain is good to replace when you can. Hunt a ported GT40 lower intake if you can get it for a good price. Those cost about $150 to have ported, more to include welding on one port prior to porting.

I grabbed the 35-510-8 grind for mine, it's a 208/216 cam with .533 and .544 lift. Hoping it works well in the Ranger for low to midrange.

Back