• Register Today It's free!

emurphy96

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
Hi ST'ers!

Quick question for anyone whos any bit versed in the possibility of Diesel swapping one of these beauties!

I've got an '04 XLT, its my first petrol vehicle, I've always driven Diesels back home in Ireland and I love how powerful and fun those engines are and I cant seem to get any bit of a kick from the 4.0L SOHC to the same extent as I have before with 2.0L TDCI's and 1.9L TDI's.

Getting back to my question, is it possible to swap in either a 1.9L or 2.0L TDI from a scrapped Golf or Jetta in to my Sport Trac?

Would the engine be able to run the frame without too much of a reduction in efficiency due to the weight of the vehicle? Would I also need to throw in a new Trans or can I keep my stock 5R55E with 4WD?

I've seen some TDI transmission adapter kits online VW 1.9 2.0L TDI to Ford 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L Transmission Adapter Kit

Any help would be great, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I don't like about the VW TDI engines is the timing belt. The 5R55E will need a standalone controller. The transmission might hold up for a little while behind a diesel.

Hp/tq wise it'd probably work fine. If it's got more fueling/air capability, then you could definitely do some tuning and get more out of it.

It wouldn’t really be much of an upgrade. The SOHC puts down more HP and ft lbs. It’s an impressive amount t of power in a 3,000 pound car. Not so much in a 4,600 pound SUV.

Plenty of tunes available to get the power up over 300 lb/ft torque. A Kubota V2203 with a turbo can get similar power levels and would be cheaper to swap in.

It wouldn’t really be much of an upgrade. The SOHC puts down more HP and ft lbs. It’s an impressive amount t of power in a 3,000 pound car. Not so much in a 4,600 pound SUV.
How about a 1Kz swap, my ulterior motive is to just get better mileage and torque, I find the SOHC a very boring engine in comparison to Diesels.

How about a 1Kz swap, my ulterior motive is to just get better mileage and torque, I find the SOHC a very boring engine in comparison to Diesels.
sohc compared to diesel doesnt have th off the line but once it gets "wound up" then it runs like a cheetah lol off the line until 3k it an feely. bit sluggish maybe, especially if youre used to diesels

sohc compared to diesel doesnt have th off the line but once it gets "wound up" then it runs like a cheetah lol off the line until 3k it an feely. bit sluggish maybe, especially if youre used to diesels
That's it unfortunately, I've driven diesels all my life, so I'm used to that initial torque boost feel you get the minute you take off, doesnt help its an automatic either when I've always driven manual!

Back