1 ton SAS into a '91! (build thread?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 ton SAS into a '91! (build thread?)

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
So this may become a build thread, if i'm that organized.

but for now, i just feel like telling you all about the new project i've been brewing up in my head, i've been searching other SAS threads, and thought i'd start my own to get some of you're opinions on my ideas here.. so give me your opinions/suggestions guys. ill try to add to this thread as i progress

its going to be a ford 10.25/dana60 combo into my '91. the rear will be leaf sprung, and i'll probably do the front leaf as well, unless it looks like i'll have bump steer issues, then i'll go to a 3 link. i'll be keeping the axles full width, this should help keep it steady even with the added height of the lift (dont want to tip over!)

i'll probably run 36's or 37's (whichever i can find a good deal on first) with non-offset rims, and approx 6-7" total lift. there will be a lot of fender trimming/modifying, as i want to be able to stuff the tires and not experience any rubbing, ever.

The rear axle i'll mount about 2 inches further back than stock, this will help with wheel clearance (wont interfere with where the door is) and it'll give it a little better departure angle in the back anyhow (and slightly longer wheel base.. for whatever thats worth). i'll also mount the front axle 2, or 2.5 inches forward from stock for the same reasons.

I'd like to run 5.13 or 5.38 gears. i have not decided on what kind of lockers to do use yet. it will be street driven as well so a rear spool is out.. i'd like to run a detroit in the rear, but that may be too expensive, so i might just use a lock-rite or something. in the front i'd like to run a lock-rite, but i may just weld it to save money (then regret it later when it doesn't steer well)

i don't have a pic of the explorer as it is right now, but here's a video clip. it currently has a 4" drop bracket lift (which is breaking), 33's and a tiny bit of fender trimming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang.. so is there no interest in this here? i'm not going to bother with a build thread if nobody cares :b

anyway, i picked up the tires today.. got a good deal on some military 37x12.5R16.5's.

here's a preview pic.
257712341_photobucket_7765_.jpg

:popcorn:subscribing. good luck! can't wait to see the progress!:salute:

Sounds like a sweet build. I see a lot of HP D60's around me for sale for reasonable prices, and its very tempting, but I need to get the stuff I have now to work properly before I think about upgrading the full widths I have now. Subscribing to steal your ideas, lol.

Last edited:

Sounds awesome. Whats the bar going around the X for??

it was the beginnings of an exo-cage. the previous owner was going to have an exo cage built on it, but he ran out of money as custom fab work is a rip off. if you look closely, there's an X going through the cab behind the front seats to the frame on each side (well it was an X, i chopped it into a y though so i could fit one backseat passenger, haha.)

after i get the axle swap done and in order, my plan is to finish the exo cage. that's the "next" project for it, though.. axles first. (i love exo cages.. it takes all the worry out of tipping/rolling while wheelin'. i've rolled my exo'd bronco a couple times all the way over and no serious body damage)

Sounds like a sweet build. I see a lot of HP D60's around me for sale for reasonable prices, and its very tempting, but I need to get the stuff I have now to work properly before I think about upgrading the full widths I have now. Subscribing to steal your ideas, lol.

yes, steal away. that's what these threads are for, right?

Looks like its going to be a cool build :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the progress.. :cool:

custom fab work is a rip off.

OK, your project sounds great but what exactly do you mean by that statement?

Real simple, out in the Communist West peeps think just because they have a welder and a bender and Minimal skills that there worth $100.00+ Hour labor for "fab" work.

Just my Opinion, Not trying to start a war here so if you wanna argue about it start another thread and we will argue about it till were blue in the Face. And let this thread continue as it was intended.

Good luck with the Build Rhauf

Real simple, out in the Communist West peeps think just because they have a welder and a bender and Minimal skills that there worth $100.00+ Hour labor for "fab" work.

Just my Opinion, Not trying to start a war here so if you wanna argue about it start another thread and we will argue about it till were blue in the Face. And let this thread continue as it was intended.

Good luck with the Build Rhauf

Yes, basically that. i didn't mean it was a rip-off necessarily, but more that it's unaffordable in most cases. for instance, that single hoop cost him (the previous owner) $750. and because of it the roof is no longer water tight, it's welded to the frame AND the body (by the door hinges!), it makes the back seat worthless, and the back seat cant be folded down. not to mention it looks stupid without the rest of the exo-cage there. i can't imagine how much it would have cost if he had them finish the entire cage (with another hoop at the back, one at the windshield, and bars connecting it all together. rock sliders etc)

now don't get me wrong, there is still some fab work which i have others do for me, sometimes it's necessary. but whenever i have it done i realize it's going to hit the wallet pretty hard.

it currently has a 4" drop bracket lift (which is breaking)

After watching that video, I wonder why!

I saw this same thread over on FSB last night. Nice to see a fellow FSB'er over here too.

After watching that video, I wonder why!

I saw this same thread over on FSB last night. Nice to see a fellow FSB'er over here too.

that vid is pretty gentle. i don't have any "difficult" wheelin' with it on video yet. i'll be sure to take some as soon as the axle swap is complete though.

besides, my broncos drop bracket lift has help up fine.. and i've been much harder on that...

(Second half of this video, for instance)

I picked up the axles today.. no pic yet. but they look good!

any recommendations (or good reasons one way or another) on springs for the front? i keep debating leaf vs. coil (3 link).

Got some work done on it today...

the front axle is in!!! (well sorta) the springs are mounted, and the steering lined up perfectly. i still need to set up shocks, bump stops, shorten the driveline slightly, and hook up the brakes (and obviously some fender and body trimming)

257712341_photobucket_9716_.jpg

257712341_photobucket_9712_.jpg

here's some pics how i mounted the springs.. it's a bit crude but it should do the trick. the front spring mounts are plated together on the back, and i will plate the front too so it's a full box.
257712341_photobucket_9713_.jpg

I decided to put the shackles in the back, so the axle would move back slightly as it went into/over a rock or obstacle, rather than pushing forward into it. this was at the expense that i'll need to cut into the firewall part of the body a bit, and i'll need a long traveling slip joint in the driveshaft.

this is the rear spring mount on the passenger side
257712341_photobucket_9714_.jpg

That looks good. Those are the same axles that will one day end up under my X.

so i had today off.. (and had some help today as well) so we got a little more done..

pulled out the old rear axle
257712341_photobucket_9945_.jpg

then put in the new axle. it was going to be too low if i did it on top of the spring (it was a 4" lift spring) so i tried doing it under the spring.. and the damn thing was too high (i don't have a picture of that)
so then i got some stock springs, and put them in.. with the axle under them. (this gives it about 6 inches of total lift.. not 10, which was too much)

here's how it looks sitting on the ground now. the rear suspension is just sort of sitting there, have to weld it together tomorrow.. but for "mock up" it's under its own weight (tack welded in place)
i think i need to get another leaf for the front leaf springs, to raise it up about 1.5 - 2" from where it is now.. opinions?
257712341_photobucket_9981_.jpg

thats sweet. nice work.

Got a little more done on it this evening.. the spring perches are in the new location, and i modified some U bolt brackets to work. the U bolts i had were bearly long enough but i guess they'll be fine (with the nuts on, while not torqued down all the way, the U bolts only come flush to the top of the nut)

257712341_photobucket_10219_.jpg

This evening i got everything wrapped up (pretty much) bump stops are in, fenders are cut-out (a ton) etc. i took a ton of pics i was going to post but for some reason my phone didn't save any of them.. damn droid.

anyway, i decided i'd give it a test drive to see how things felt.. and it felt great up to about 25mph.. then it started to shake like crazy. so i figured out the shaking is the front wheels/axle, it looked as if the wheels were violently turning left/right an inch or two very rapidly.

i've got two theories as to what the problem is... could too much caster cause cause this? i figured caster was good, but maybe too much of it is a bad thing. i just put the diff level and bolted up the leaf springs i figured that would be about right.. the other thing i'm wondering is if i need a pan hard bar.. the axle was equipped with one originally (in the f-350 or whatever it came out of) but i didn't use it as most leaf sprung suspension doesn't have it and i figured it wasn't necessary.

anyone have any ideas to fix it????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check caster (and pinion angle) before you welded the spring hangers / shackles ?

Back