• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

100,000 Mile Service- Spark Plugs

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Thought this would be helpful for current owners with future maintenance plans:

With just over 98,000 miles, I had the spark plugs replaced. The job was $360.50 total. Parts were $70.50 and $290.00 for labor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

elindo

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ex Sport
Wow that's pretty reasonable. I just purchased a 2014 EX and look forward to many miles from it. How has your EX reliability been?

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
How has your EX reliability been?

Great. Only thing has been the My Ford Touch stuff, and most of that's been resloved over the years with updates. Enjoy your 2014!:)

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.

Good to know what they are charging though, thanks for the update.

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Should have done it yourself and saved $300

I have no time nor patience for stuff like this. I have many other things I'd like to be doing, and am very happy to pay a professional to do it for me.

Besides, this is a company car, and my boss would rather have me in front of a customer than under my hood.:)

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.
Assuming it was dealer service, unless it's warranty should be a last resort. $300 could have bought you lot's of gas. ;)

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Assuming it was dealer service, unless it's warranty should be a last resort. $300 could have bought you lot's of gas. ;)

Dealership has loaner cars and shuttle service (2 miles from my office). Indy shops don't.

My gas is free!!:)

imbett

Reaction score
City, State
bayfield ontario CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 exlt cinnamon metallic
re spark plugs

should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.

Good to know what they are charging though, thanks for the update.

how dificult is it and what is involved

bigmoose15

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ExSport
how dificult is it and what is involved

I put fresh regapped plugs in mine. It was pretty easy. You just need to unbolt the 6 COPs and take the plugs out. If i remember there was a tight fit getting one of the COPs out. It was interfering with some hard hose. I was able to unbolt one of the mounts for it to move it slightly to get the COP out.

I got all my motorcraft iridium plugs on rock auto for $4/each.

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
A socket set, a few extensions, and a small box wrench or adjustable, and ~1 hour of your time is all you need.

I totally understand if it's a company car and/or if your that busy, but for me, I don't make 300$ an hour and already own all the tools so for me it's worth the effort. Also, 70$ for spark plugs seems a bit high.