100 OCT Dyno run on Livernois Tune | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

100 OCT Dyno run on Livernois Tune

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Well, just did a run on my 2015 XSport at the closest AWD dyno I have to me. A shop in Rocklin, CA (I live in Sacramento, CA) called FW Motorsports. A fairly well known (at least here locally) Subaru tuning shop that deals mostly with COBB stuff.

Anyway, I have about every widget that Livernois has to offer for the XSport and wanted to see what kind of numbers she was putting down with the 100 OCT tune they sent me. I normally run the 91 Performance Tune (hey, it's Cali...all we get is 91, LOL) but we have a place with some Sonoco 100 at the pump ($9 a gallon...yikes) out here. I ran the truck out of the 91 gas, filled 'er up with 100, drove a round for bit to get that 100 through the lines, then loaded the tune.

The truck feels like a total beast with that 100 in it, so naturally I felt the numbers would be impressive. Anyway, when all was said and done, I left the dyno shop feeling a little underwhelmed. Peak torque, 394 and Peak HP 358. I really thought the numbers would be a lot higher than that. More like both over the 400 mark.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xihk0ec32brsmfi/john%20diaz.pdf?dl=0 (Just click the "X" when asked to sign into dropbox...its not necessary)

Anyway, I have to be 100% fair, this is a shop that has no experience with the ecoboost. I went there solely to do some pulls on the dyno as it is the only one in the area, but the tech there admitted to not having ever worked with this truck. Also, they are using a Mustang Dyno and I've heard all the stories about Mustang's pulling low numbers, especially if they haven't been calibrated right.

I talked to Jaime at Livernois right after to voice some of my concerns and I have to admit, I LOVE dealing with Livernois. They are always good to me and this was no exception. He is the one that made me aware of the slight differences between the Mustang dyno and the Dynojet dyno they use.

My only concern is regarding the dip right after the peak torque values at about 2400 RPM. Shouldn't it be climbing then falling instead of dipping then going back up (ie, more of an "arched" shape)? I've had a number of tuned turbo cars in my past and I've never had a torque curve look like that. I am also new to the ecoboost so I hadn't seen a dip like that in a torque curve before unless there is some sort of limiter in play. Or maybe there is an issue with my truck? Should the tech have done something different? I felt they are pretty competent shop as it pertains to tuning in general and they were consistent on each pull for the most part. The traction control was off BTW. Has anyone else seen their chart do anything like this? Jaime mentioned that the ecoboost is a different beast and that may be normal, I'm just looking for the logic behind it. How much difference between the Dynojet numbers and the Mustang numbers should I be looking at?

One mistake I did make was to not have it dyno'd at FW before I did the mods, which I realize would be a more realistic test to take the differentials between the runs and find out the actual gains versus having only half the story.

Anyway, this is NO knock on Livernois, they've been great to me and I like the customer service they provide, I guess I'm trying my best to convert oranges to apples, LOL...

My next step is to go to the 1/4 mile tomorrow, but I'll leave that for another thread...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 1st react is that is very strong, could easily be over. From what have seen typically AWD drivetrain loss is 15 to 20%. Add the automatic trans with another 3 to 5%. Also a lot of the AWD cars have a lot less mass in the wheel and tire assemblies. So at 20% you are nearing 480HP and 25% you are at close to 500hp.

Another thing is to consider is the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S are are rated at 520 to 550HP depending upon year, the most I have heard of one make is 320HP on a Mustang Dyno. That is nearly a 40% drivetrain loss.

Hmmm yeah that may be true...just a little anti-climatic when I see dyno charts from folks on here and other places that show the same if not higher numbers on LESS. Hell, when I showed him my charts, Jaime himself sent me a sample dyno from a 2014 XSport that had NO exhaust, just tune, plugs, 3bar MAP and tstat and the numbers were about equal to my run WITH full exhaust AND 100 octane...

I'm concerned that even on that Mustang dyno I shouldve made more power and there is possibly something up with my truck or possibly the tune. Are the numbers/curves I got pretty typical and I'm just being paranoid or is there possibly a legitimate issue? IDK the asnwer, I'm just reaching out to see if those that are way smarter than me on here (a good chance all of you, LOL) have any input. Anybody have any opinion on that torque curve?

Those power number are very strong for a Mustang dyno. They do typically read much lower than the industry standard DynoJet Dynamometer. These lower reading is only exacerbated if the dyno is not loaded or calibrated correctly.

Your TQ will always taper off as the HP comes on. Once you are in motion you do not need TQ as much. TQ gets you moving HP keeps you moving.

Note:
The chart that you saw was on 93 octane...not 100.

Those power number are very strong for a Mustang dyno. They do typically read much lower than the industry standard DynoJet Dynamometer. These lower reading is only exacerbated if the dyno is not loaded or calibrated correctly.

Your TQ will always taper off as the HP comes on. Once you are in motion you do not need TQ as much. TQ gets you moving HP keeps you moving.

Note:
The chart that you saw was on 93 octane...not 100.

Yeah i feel you on the differential between the mustang and dynojet readings...i can let that go LOL.

And your 100% right on torque vs hp...and how the curves are generally inverse to each other. Im just wondering about that peak early on, then it drops then starts climbing again before it tapers off again as the hp rises...

That first dip before it rises again is what i was curious about....how normal is that? Shouldnt it rise early then "arch"/taper off as the hp rises?

Thanks again btw...

That is normal with turbo vehicles...as the boost hits early the curve jumps and tapers until the turbo for lack of a better term catches its breath. After that the TQ will come back and taper again. The turbo is using exhaust fumes to make power so as those initial fumes are depleted the boost leaves. When they are built back up the boost comes back on.

Back