1000W Inverter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1000W Inverter

Jason603

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sportrac
I plan on having a 1000W inverter hardwired to the battery by the local stereo shop. My question is, will the alternator have trouble handling the load? My '07 is stock. I'm more concerned about the alternater than the battery since I don't plan on keeping the inverter on without the truck running.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I all depends on what you want to hook up to the inverter. 1000W/12V=83 amps This quite a load for an alternator, but for limited times, it should be ok. But be sure to look up what you use on it before you plug it in. Simple things like a hairdryer pull 1500W which is over 100 amps on a 12V circuit! Be observant and follow the manufacturer recommendations and you should be fine.

Dual alternator with a clutch on the auxiliary alternator :)

Ahah no I mean that's how I would run it. Or control the "charge" lead with a switch so that its not pumping electrons out all the time - only when the inverter is on.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would love to do the clutch thing with a supercharger but you know $$$$ [/hijack]

Back