• Register Today It's free!

100K auto trans service 03 4.0

Christobal

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT, 03, 2 wheel drive
I've got 96K miles and am dreading the upcoming trans service.

No dipstick, no traditional drain plug. What exactly is done to service this trans? I assume it had some sort of synthetic fluid in it from the factory? I also assume Ford has there own spec on this fluid. What fluid, if known by another name, do they install at the factory? What can I put in, Mobil 1 or other synthetic? What other synthetic ATF is widely available on the shelf or at transmission shops? I haven't noticed much if any. I know about Amsoil etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's considered a "sealed unit", so they got some weird tool they use to drain and fill the fluid.

You are supposed to let the truck run up and down the block for a few minutes to get it at operating temperature, otherwise you'll get incorrect fluid read-out, and you could accidentily put TOO MUCH or TOO LITTLE in the tranny when you fill it.
They have to use a laser temp to get the temperature too.
(the tranny fluid expands under heat, and it SUPPOSEDLY has to be filled and serviced a certain way)

Im getting my tranny flushed at the mercury dealership next week.
And im ONLY at 30k.
(ive been having hesitation problems with it lately)

They want $179.00 with taxes!!!

I didnt think that was too bad considering its at a dealership.

I've heard of tranny shops charging $200 for tranny flushes.

This is one vehicle i would prefer NOT to touch when doing transmission work.
Im working 7 days a week and DONT have time to do it myself, so im dishing out the cash this one time.

Mercon V is a synthetic fluid, no need to get any M1 or anything of the such.

Roger that, thanks guys. Tranny has been fine so far. Just staring to get a miss noticeable at idle in gear. I'm assuming a plug wire or plug, though I'd assume the miss would be more noticeable at a higher load.

Got mine "flushed" at Midas the other day...about $115 with a 10% AAA discount.

One of the local Ford dealers here occasionally runs a special on trans flush service for $99. I got it done there about 1.5 years ago during one of those specials. It is a great deal when you consider that Merc V retails for about $7-$8/qt and it takes at least 12 qts to do a complete flush. I like the idea of getting it done by a Ford tech, but it pisses me off when the service writer always tracks me down in the waiting area and tells me I need a new battery - even if it's brand new. Dumb ass never even looks under the hood.

I agree with BrooklynBay that the recommended service interval is way too long for this tranny. I plan to be getting mine flushed for the 3rd time by 100k.

I think they only charge $125 at my ford dealer. Im getting it done on my next oil change at 96000 miles

Wow, there's a lot of traffic over there. I'm thrilled that Ford decided to make it more complicated. In a nutshell, have people been having trouble with their transmissions? If it's synthetic oil and the vehicle is not abused 'and' big 'and' the transmission is engineered well, I don't see a major issue. So, what have you seen and heard as far as issues with the 100K interval?

Quite frankly I'm more concerned about what the tech might do to my vehicle either accidentally or on purpose which will leave me worse off than when I got there, or as well off, but out $$$.

As indicated in other answers, the fluid in our Explorers of this generation is Mercon V. One can buy Motorcraft Mercon V and several other companies make fully licensed Mercon V fluids. It appears that Motorcraft Mercon V is *not* a fully synthetic fluid (it has a significantly lower flashpoint than any known synthetic ATF see here*) - at best it appears to be a synthetic blend.

When I changed the ATF in my 2002 V6 with 63,000 miles I used fully synthetic Dead Link Removed. It is a fully licensed Mercon V fluid by a very good lubrication company. Some other fine choices, if one wants a fully synthetic upgrade from Motorcraft Mercon V would be Dead Link Removed, Dead Link Removed, and Mobil 1 ATF. Of these I like the Amsoil but any of them would yield good perfomance. One could also choose Castrol Mercon V or Valvoline Mercon V ATF, but neither claims to be fully synthetic although the Valvoline used to be and you may come across old stock of it on some store shelves. You could always use Motorcraft Mercon V, of course.

The "right" way to change the fluid in a vehicle with your mileage would be to drop the pan and replace the transmission filter and then do a full flush through the cooler lines. In a vehicle with your mileage a filter replacement is a very good idea, IMHO.

I am a backyard tinkerer with no particular expertise and I managed to drop the pan, replace the transmission filter and pan gasket and flush 12 quarts of Schaeffer's ATF through the cooling lines in an afternoon.

Rumple

*some of the numbers have changed since I made this post and Valvoline is no longer claimed to be fully synthetic.

I've got 96K miles and am dreading the upcoming trans service.

If the tech does something I would assume the dealership would pay for anything done to it.

Just courious is there a difference in the transmission between the 4.6 and 4.0?

Alright, I searched some of the posts related to servicing this trans. Quick and dirty,

1. It appears I can use the drain on the bottom of the pan as a traditional drain plug, correct?

2. The fill is a horizontal plug such as typically found for fill on a manual trans. There is a threaded nipple with a Ford part number or a similar part can be used with a hose to pump Mercon V spec in there until it runs out. I suppose this could also be done without the threaded nipple (quick and dirty) and just shove the hose in there and pour/pump fluid in there until it's back up to the plug.

For now, I'd like to just get the drain the pan and refill the fluid lost. Hopefully it's as simple as described above. The pan is dry and my strong hunch is my main issue at this point will be to get some fresh fluid in there soon.

On the 93 I installed a plug when I pulled the pan for a leaky cork gasket installed by the dealer. I found nothing whatsoever in that filter, but changed it because I had a new one ready. I did find the expected and seemingly reasonable amount of metal clinging to the magnet mounted in the bottom of the pan. I've never flushed it, just drained and refilled roughly half the fluid every 5-10K or so when I do oil changes or every other.

Alright, I searched some of the posts related to servicing this trans. Quick and dirty,

1. It appears I can use the drain on the bottom of the pan as a traditional drain plug, correct?

2. The fill is a horizontal plug such as typically found for fill on a manual trans. There is a threaded nipple with a Ford part number or a similar part can be used with a hose to pump Mercon V spec in there until it runs out. I suppose this could also be done without the threaded nipple (quick and dirty) and just shove the hose in there and pour/pump fluid in there until it's back up to the plug.

Where did you get this info?
This is not acurate.
You are about to "step off in it."

Went back and looked at the thread more closely and understand.

What's 'great' is how some trans seem to have the horizontal plug up high at the rear (2wd) of the trans and some don't. Others say you can't get up there. We'll see what happens when I crawl under there. IT would seem just putting fluid in through that hole and waiting it for come out of the center plug drain in the pan would be the simplest way to do this. Oh well, I'll plan on dropping that pan and doing some such method.

Key word: PATHETIC

Thanks for the replys.

Back