10psi Tuning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10psi Tuning

Started tuning for 10psi this weekend and ran into problems. The tranny. So I have contacted the tranny builder and lit a fire under them. Oh well. I cant complain got 158K on this tranny. This thing really put me back once the boost started building. WOW really impressive. Tranny won't slip on 6# but 10# is another story........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah 158 isnt bad.. u plannin on leaving it at 10lbs? or going more

whats slipping? install a shift-kit to increase the line pressure

At 158K, installing a shift kit would be a "Band-aid", not a permenant solution.

Good luck in your 10 psi tuning. I'm interested in what your truck is going to do at the pressure.

Folks, he's an SCT Tuner, he has FULL controll of line pressure and shifting. If the trans is "slipping" after his tuning, there are mechanical problems.

I am 95% against shift kits in general. All the issues that a shift kit addresses (with the exception of TSB items) can be corrected with a flash programmer and proper tuning. The PCM has control of the transmission for a reason, please leave the PCM in control....

Who's doing your tranny? Are they "building" it, or just fixing what's wrong?
I have a builder which is custom machining different parts from other v-8 Ford vehicles. If this goes sucessfully then I will offer this option to fellow forum members. So theoretically I will have a beefed up tranny. The builder needs to remain anonymous at this moment because he doesn't need a flood of calls until we know this is tested and definate.

whats slipping? install a shift-kit to increase the line pressure

My line pressure is increased... I am making too damn much power for this tranny. I believe I have a 2nd gear band worn.

At 158K, installing a shift kit would be a "Band-aid", not a permenant solution.
Exactly I agree 100%. My tranny is on a respirator, and I am kinking the o2 hose!!!

sweetness
What trans is this? (sorry I cant keep track)

Folks, he's an SCT Tuner, he has FULL controll of line pressure and shifting. If the trans is "slipping" after his tuning, there are mechanical problems.

I am 95% against shift kits in general. All the issues that a shift kit addresses (with the exception of TSB items) can be corrected with a flash programmer and proper tuning. The PCM has control of the transmission for a reason, please leave the PCM in control....

I agree with this as well... I am going to try to adjust the bands again(I always adjust them every oil change) but will run them a little tighter from now on. They are adjusted to the factory specs at this moment. I really can't complain 8.50's @ 83.41 in the 1/8th was never meant to be when this truck was designed, so I am really going against the grain. This is just part of going fast. I will probably have to switch to a full out v-8 trans once I build the motor and pull even more boost.

sweetness
What trans is this? (sorry I cant keep track)

It is a 5R55E automatic. This has been a bulletproof tranny. So many trips down the dragstrip I can count, and oh yeah I like to do smokey burnouts every once in a while.....

thats what I thought but you threw me off when you said he was going to machine parts from v8 units.

Good luck with the HD rebuild, I know these units can hold up when built RIGHT

Good luck in your 10 psi tuning. I'm interested in what your truck is going to do at the pressure.

I run the 8.50 with stock fan and stock pulley. I have underdrives and I have the money for the e-fan but don't have the time to install or even order at this moment due to business obligations. I am shooting for 7.90's in the 1/8th. I don't believe this is gonna happen on this tranny. But..once I get my built one in the sky will be the limit. I only hope since this is a custom setup that we will have success the first time. I am the test mule!

thats what I thought but you threw me off when you said he was going to machine parts from v8 units.

Good luck with the HD rebuild, I know these units can hold up when built RIGHT

When I say we are using v-8 parts it is exactly that. We are going to machine the stock 5R55E case to accept non stock parts. We will be using custom parts from different applications to beef up the trans. We have a bunch of different possibilities but I am not completely aware of all them. I will have to talk to my builder once he is finished to see exactly what was done. Then if that doesn't work we will pull the tranny apart see what failed and go a different route. We may even have to file 13 the case we just machined and go with another 5r55e case if that original mod doesn't work. This is in testing at this moment and once I say ok here is the definates it will be offfered to others on this forum. My builder is the builder of trannies which has taken some of the fastest street vehicles to thier best times. 1000hp tranny builds are this guys norm.. So hopefully we will be successful with this one.

Awesome project frankentrannyII
C4 is always an option? or a full size trans with an adapter?

Not to get completely sidelined, but what about using a 4x4 factory trans pan and internal trans filter on your 4x2 trans? While it only adds less than a 1/2 qt to the capacity, is the filter any better? Or just use an external filter?

Aftermarket cast aluminum pans are 3qts deeper, use the 4x4 filter and cost over $230. Sorry, too rich for my blood...

Maybe I'll ask this over on the towing/driveline boards.

Good to hear you are pushing further James. An increase of 4 psi on your turbo will be a big increase! You will be having some good fun this season. :thumbsup:

a "shift-kit" either off the shelf or pieced together from a professional transmission builder is nothing like a tuner, all a tuner can do is increase overall pressure and shift points, with a shift-kit you can modify servo/accumulator spring pressures for each shift etc, but you must tell the person that tuned the vehicle or you might end up blowing seals with all that main line pressure and very hard shifts. I know once it starts to slip increasing servo force or line pressure is too late since the bands/clutches are worn out or severly glazed, I was just saying if someone wanted a temp fix but would still be useful after the rebuild

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a "shift-kit" either off the shelf or pieced together from a professional transmission builder is nothing like a tuner, all a tuner can do is increase overall pressure and shift points, with a shift-kit you can modify servo/accumulator spring pressures for each shift etc, but you must tell the person that tuned the vehicle or you might end up blowing seals with all that main line pressure and very hard shifts. I know once it starts to slip increasing servo force or line pressure is too late since the bands/clutches are worn out or severly glazed, I was just saying if someone wanted a temp fix but would still be useful after the rebuild

I am the tuner. I see your point but don't forget that this is a 5R55E and you have full control over this tranny unlike the previous A4LD and 4R70/AODE which only control over certain parameters. I agree that you will have some mechanical improvements with the shift kit but I will have to decrease all my pressures in the tuning software. My builder and I have already talked about this. And the linepressures I am running now will be way too much when he is done.

Back