11 mpg? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

11 mpg?

Really makes a big difference but FYI the average it calculates is actually on the low side of reality which isn't a bad thing. Driving 600km from Montreal I average 24.8MPG but didn't see 24 on the scan gauge often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this will sound backwards but I've found that turning the OD off in stop and go traffic increases my mileage.

Now if i was running your set up i would be happy with 15 but i have 3.73's and a sohc with nothing more than a K&N. Tires are 32" but they are a pound lighter than 255/70/16 wrangler A/T's.

It's not the weight that makes a big difference, it's the loss of centrifugal force and other factors because your increasing the outer circumference of the tire.

Think of it like a 10-speed bicycle, if you start with the little gear up front on the big gear in back, it's hard as heck to turn the peddle from a stop.

Also its winter time now, idk about where you live but here the winter fuel is different. I usually get close to 20 highway and 15 city in the summer, and in the winter I get about 15 highway and 10-12 city, depending on how I am driving.

Xtreme 4X4 is running some new ideas through the show on how to save fuel by doing some simple modifications. the host is doing one mod to his truck at a time and posting before and after results. this week he took off the mechanical fan and replaced it with an electric. he mentioned wheels and tires (probably going for weight vs height trade offs) and gearing down the road, and I bet he'll be doing the usual intake and exhaust as well as computer tweaks

I know I'll be watching to see which mods make the best improvements

I have extensively tested this and found it makes no difference.

Isn't that in itself weird though wouldn't the higher RPM used while having OD off burn more fuel?

Isn't that in itself weird though wouldn't the higher RPM used while having OD off burn more fuel?

only if you're driving over 40mph for a distance

It's not the weight that makes a big difference, it's the loss of centrifugal force and other factors because your increasing the outer circumference of the tire.

Think of it like a 10-speed bicycle, if you start with the little gear up front on the big gear in back, it's hard as heck to turn the peddle from a stop.

3.73 gearing does not help but what you just said does not make sense. I am sure if i had a larger AND heavier tire my mileage would go down. We are talking 31.8 inch tire that is 1 inch over what i had on it from the factory. Its also one pound lighter on each tire. Should be no change and if anything it should get better mpg.

Also if you start with the little gear up front and the big gear on the back of a multispeed bike that would be your easiest gearing choice to give you low end power not how you describe it. Think of it as having your 4low on. Your refrence is not correct nor is centrifugal force since centrifugal force can be effected by the weight and the hight of the tire. A larger diameter tire will add more force but having a lighter tire will lower it. With what was said the vehicle should actually get better or the same MPG due to it having the same or less mass turning.

Anyway on last tuesday my good friend changed all of the fluid in the axles and T-case. He told me the T-case was a little low when he checked it. Changed the wires and plugs and cleaned out the TB, intake, map, PVC and put the stock airbox back in. He has also been driving it for the last 5 days. 19 MPG aroud town (around town is 45-50 MPH). He has driven about 500 miles so far and will be parking it this weekend. From talking to him on the phone he said he did not like the K&N FIPK and that along with the plugs made a difference. He also stated that the fitment was crap of the K&N and it might have been leaking around the TB just enough where it did not throw a code but to cause adverse affects on the MPG.

Jon

x's dont come with 31 inch tires stock at all 28 or 29s

x's dont come with 31 inch tires stock at all 28 or 29s

I stand corrected it was a 30.3 inch tire from the factory by tire rack measurement. My own measurement it was clearly a 31 inch tire.

From talking to him on the phone he said he did not like the K&N FIPK and that along with the plugs made a difference. He also stated that the fitment was crap of the K&N and it might have been leaking around the TB just enough where it did not throw a code but to cause adverse affects on the MPG.

I love my K&N, when I installed it I actually gained a little mileage, and the fitment of mine is perfect.

Back