$111 bike ticket | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

$111 bike ticket

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
my girlfriend got a ticket for riding her bike on the wrong side of the wrong side of the road. she was on the sidewalk riding toward traffic on her way to school.

the ticket has her info on it- 5'7" 130 blk hair etc etc
and the vehicle info-
color- silver
make- schwinn
model- bike
style- mtn
then it has the ticket information which includes the following
speed- 8
posted- none
direction of travel- w
time- 11:25
then way at the bottom it just says- defendent was riding on the wrong side of the road

whats this all about? can they really do that? should she pay the fine of 111 or pay 35 to go to a two hour bike safety class? and the biggest question of all- did the officer keep a straight face while writing SCHWINN for type of vehicle? how about the speed of 8? or the model BIKE?

what do you guys think

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
I would just pay the 35 bucks and do the class. Yes they can give you a ticket for going the wrong way down the street. I know it sounds stupid but hey Bikers want the same respect and privlages of the road as cars so they have laws to obey too. I got a ticket for riding along the side of my friend when I 16. Had to pay 50 bucks and get the safety lecture from the cop. My dad got a ticket awhile ago for speeding in a residential area on his bike. He had to go to court for it and pay the fine. You would be surprised at the laws that pertain bikes. Like you can get a ticket for not wearing proper saftey gear and not signaling for turns or stops.

<

SWLathrop

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkshire,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 & 02 Stang, 94 Sable
Not to play devils advocate, but laws are laws. Apparently somebody had a serious bug up their butt to write the ticket. However, bikes are required to travel the same direction and side as motor vehicles. Also, almost every town has a law pertaining to riding bikes on the sidewalks. Normally they're not allowed as the side walks are for pedestrians. All the officer had to do was explain the law(s) to her. Most people grow up not even knowing about bike riding laws because they're never taught to them. They should be taught by the parents and the schools. However, nobody wants the responsibility. There are bike riding safety classes taught. However, they're hardly ever advertised or they never provide proper notice to the public. She could probably fight it, and not pay a fine if she still went to a safety class. Good luck.

<

KMac

Reaction score
City, State
HuntsVegas, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4
Good for HER!!!! I'd ride my bike on the wrong side and on the sidewalk everyday. And if that ******* cop stopped me I'd ask him how many car/bike accidents he's cleaned up on the sidewalk versus how many he's cleaned up on the street. If you get on the street with a bike where I live, you're history. Plain and simple.

BTW, I don't advocate being a nuisance on the sidwalk and causing trouble with pedestrians, etc......

<

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I would have to agree with Lathrop, these laws are not just so the cops have something to do. On my campus people ride bikes on the sidewalks, both directions, and not in the street all the time and I personally have heard of several incidents where a pedestrian has been hit by someone on a bike. Sometimes this is not a major happening, but if a bike is going 15 and runs into you there could be serious injury.

<

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
hey i wasn't saying she shouldn't have gotten a ticket. i was just reporting. and the ticket wasn't for riding on the sidewalk it was for riding on the sidewalk which corresponded to the wrong side of the road. i for one didn't realize that the sidewalk was supposed to be a one way, i just assumed that you could move either way you wanted on it. also the main point i was making was how funny a ticket is that says make- schwinn and model- bike on it. it made me laugh just reading it.

<

spiper

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
How did the cop know she was going 8 mph. Did he actually use his radar gun on a bicyclist? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of a cop doing. :bounce:

<

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i have no idea. i just posted what the ticket said. i'm glad someone else realizes how funny this is.

can't you just seeing him hiding at a bus stop radaring people passing by on bikes, rollerblades, and even, gasp, running.

<

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I didn't mean to sound like I didn't think it was funny, that cop definitely got a little too into his job at that point. And actually writing out the ticket with make, model, description, and speed, makes it even more funny. I'm surprised he said anything at all to a girl, most of the girls I know have gotten numerous warnings before ever getting a ticket.

<

rustytr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leadville, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
LOL! 8mph. Sounds like the cops there need some real work to do.

<

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
HAHAHA..
i like the way the cop listed her info..

style: mtn <-- make sure not to accidetally call it a road bike

that really is hilarious.

swlathrop is correct about bikes and road laws. they are technically illegal on the sidewalk. its actually really dangerous for bikers to ride on sidewalks outside of the typical subdivison. think about the folks that are backing out of a driveway and stop right before they get to the road to look.. well, i've seen it happen before many times. the biker happens to be riding the sidewalk at that moment and one of three things happens that i have seen. 1: the guys manages to pull out of there with only half a heart attack 2: the guy slams into the side of the car backing up 3: the car backing up pops the guy into the travel lanes. i've seen all three happen. luckily the times i've seen the person get smacked into the travel lanes, either nobody was coming at the time or the car coming stopped in time not to run over the fallen biker.

i did get pulled over on my bike for speeding once (i am NOT kidding) on campus. i was going down a good hill really fast and hit about 38 mph. anyway, the limit was 30 and a cop sitting at the bottom was waiting for folks and he pulled me over. well turns out he had just gotten there and wasn't serious but wanted to "see what my reaction would be to speeding on a bike." he was laughing about it and was really in a joking mood apparantly. gotta admit.. i was about to get pretty mad though before i noticed him laughing.

<

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I'd check the statue number on the ticket.. then get the wording of the statute (you can normally find it on the internet or at your local public library).

If she was on the sidewalk she wasn't on the road.. There are no directions on a sidewalk..

If the Statute for going to wrong way is "only for going the wrong way" on the roadway then she should fight it.

What they should have done (at least what they do in Arizona) is write her a ticket for riding a bike on the sidewalk.

that is like you getting pulled over for speeding and them giving you a ticket for the wrong offense. You get it thrown out of court easily.

just look at the wording of the statute and see if she was in the wrong.. if so.. take the class, if not, fight it..

<

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
yeah, thanks. the ticket wasn't for on the sidewalk. it was for going the wrong way on the sidewalk. i will look into it. this was in arizona man, we go to arizona state.

<

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
ahh.. in that case.. whats the ARS number.. I have the entire collection of ARS here at work (as of last year)..

or did they get her for a local thing (city of phx law etc)..

either way.. I'll see if I can dig the text out for you.

~Mark

<

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
If they got her for.. ARS 28-904 Driving on sidewalk

The wording is..

A. A person shall not drive a vehicle on a sidewalk area except on a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.

B. This section does not apply to a motorized wheelchair, authorized emergency vehicle, security vehicle owned by this state or small service vehicle owned by this state or a political subdivision of this state.

~Mark

<

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
OK, I feel sorry for your girlfriend, expo, and I think this ticket is :D, but I agree with the others that bikes have to obey the laws. In Europe where we have tons of bikes, it's a real problem with "them darn bikes" driving as if they would be alone in this world. But 111 bucks :eek: Is her bike-insurance also going up? ;)

Originally posted by Joe93
... My dad got a ticket awhile ago for speeding in a residential area on his bike. He had to go to court for it and pay the fine ...

This urban legend exists already for a long time and a friend of mine going to law school investigated on this (after he got a ticket):
- Bicycles can not be ticketed for speeding because it is not required for them to have a speedometer
- Bicycles can be ticketed for reckless driving and speeding on the bike can easily be considered as "reckless driving", if it - in the opinion of the cop - endangered any bystanders. (You can't even say in that situation, that there were no bystanders; the cop was standing by, and he/she might have felt endangered) :rolleyes:

<

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i don't have the ticket on me, but it was for going the wrong way on the sidewalk. not for being on the sidewalk. maybe there is a way she can get off for this. maniak please help.

as for everyone saying that she deserved it for riding on the sidewalk. maybe she did, but don't you think she shouldn't have gotten a ticket for going the wrong way on the sidewalk. the cop told her that in the future she should cross the street then ride ON THE SIDEWALK in the direction she was going. maybe our city codes are different from everyone elses, but its ok here to ride on the sidewalk, just not int he "wrong" direction. The issue is 'do sidewalks have a dirction'

<

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
then they should have to stop at a stop sign too. last week a kid almost rode his bike into my door because he was riding really fast down the street and flew throgh the intersection. he had to skid to a stop. i would've been really pissed if he hit my explorer.

<

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
thanks a ton MANIAK. the ticket is a municipal code for tempe az. 7-52 C. after those numbers it simply says "riding bike on wrong side of road" but she was on the sidewalk. this really doesn't seem fair. do you know where we can find the tempe city codes on the internet? or can you get the exact wording of that one for us.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
thanks a ton MANIAK. the ticket is a municipal code for tempe az. 7-52 C. after those numbers it simply says "riding bike on wrong side of road" but she was on the sidewalk. this really doesn't seem fair. do you know where we can find the tempe city codes on the internet? or can you get the exact wording of that one for us.

<