• Register Today It's free!

12/20 mpg

ksaldibar

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island (part of NYC) , New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT and '99 EB
around my city, where i live, i average 12-13 mpg. on the highway on vacation from nyc to the bottom of jersey, averaged 20 mpg. does anyone else experience this difference on long trips? arent the '94s 4x4 supposed to get around 15mpg city? thanks for any help.

-ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah it happens to mine but is a matter of driving style. When I'm on the freeway I just drop it in OD and cruise along at 75-80, with my rear end ratio of 3.08 this puts me around 2000rpm. (Traffic permitting) Once I get off the freeway I tend to bury the throttle and let the engine rev out a lot. (4000+, trying to finish this engine off so I have an excuse to go to the new one) All of this gives me some big fluctuations in gas mileage, from around 20 on the highway to about 11- on the street.

Also, I see that you are in NYC. If you spend a lot of time idleing in traffic your MPG when you are sitting still is 0 MPG which lowers your average quite a bit. I've never been to NYC, but from what I know about it traffic isn't the greatest. My '97 4x4 Sport averages around 16 city, 19 highway, not nearly the difference that you see. I would say that if you are getting 20 on the highway your Explorer is running great so it leads me to believe that the low city MPG is either a result of bad traffic or your driving style.

actually, i dont live in the "city" it self. i live in a suburb of it on an island. where i live there are no skyscrapers or bumber to bumper traffic (hardly any at all). since i just got my license i have been driving with my dad alot, but i do not go fast really or have a heavy foot at all. the limit is 30, but with my dad like 25...LOL here our driving it like 1/4 highway and 3/4 street. thats for your input.

-ken

That's what most of our early Explorer's get in the city. Don't know why, we just do.

I've got a 94 XLT 4dr with 155k+ miles. The worst milage I've ever got was actually on the highway. I made a mad dash to Texas once, running about 95 mph for six hours. I ended up right at 12 mpg.

I just finished the same trip going 65 mph the whole way and got 18 mpg.

I've got 3.27 gears and they seem to run the lowest RPMs at about 60 mph, thus getting the best milage. In town, if I drive with a soft foot, I get 15+, and if I mash it all the time, I get 13+.

I have roughly the same problem. I get 13 with city/traffic driving and 17-18 on the interstate at 80mph with the a/c on. I have the 31x10.50 tires so I kind of have to estimate my mileage because my speedo is off approximately 10%.

Back