12-26 Trouble w/starter '91 XLT 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12-26 Trouble w/starter '91 XLT 4x4

Steepcreeker

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
My trusty automatic 4x4 '91 Explorer (260K miles) has starter issues :(

I noticed the start making some funny noices like the bendix (SP?) was not engaging the flywheel. So 3 weeks ago, I installed a new (not rebuilt) starter from AZ.

The starter worked OK, but is did not sound as smooth as it should when it was engaging the 'ring gear' to start the truck. Sometimes the starter gear did not engage the ring gear though the starter was turning

Now the new starter will not start the truck. Removed starter and noted that the starter teeth were in poor shape. Inspected the ring gear and looks as if they are ok and could be cleaned up with a small file.

Q. Should I just clean up the ring gear teeth and install a new starter, or do I need to drop the tranny and replace the ring gear too...

Thanks in advance

Was the starter shimmed when you took it out?

The old starter did not have shims. The new starter did not have shims with it, so I assumed (silly me) that shims were not needed. Some GM cars require shims and the installation instructions mention shims.

Back