12 inch information display/gauge cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12 inch information display/gauge cluster

SeattleST

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hello everyone. Just picked up my ST yesterday and and love it. Coming from a Tahoe, there is no comparison on the technology and ride. I do have an issue with the digital gauge cluster. In normal mode, my speedometer is offset all the way to the left. Even if I use the "calm mode" which is supposed to only display the speedo in the center, mine is still way off to the left side. Any way to fix this? I noticed down in the center is a picture of a road (I tried turning the cruise on and off and that changes nothing). Any help would be appreciated ! Please see attached picture:
Thanks!

IMG_3422.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn off the cruse and lane assist and the speed-O will move to the center. It also looks like you have all of your additional information displays disabled, they show up to the right side near the fuel level. Some of the additional displays are, angel and tilt 4wd, AWD power distribution, MPG, Trip info, ECO info... You can enable or disable each. You do this via the right hand steering wheel buttons.

Thanks for your reply. I just went up to try that. Cruise is off and on the lane keep assist menu, where can I turn it off? I attached the 2 screens from that menu and don't see how to disable it. Thanks again for your help!

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

The button on the then of the turn signal turns the lane assist on and off.

The button on the then of the turn signal turns the lane assist on and off.
Bam. That did it. Don't know how I missed that in the manual. Thanks for your help!

This screen truly is much better looking then the portrait mode one. Just look how nicely it fits, I am glad I did not get the tech package.

I may agree the portrait screen is odd, but the the sound system and other features like adaptive cruse is worth it. Quality sound is very important to me.

I wish that the carplay screen wasn't just the top half of the tablet. It's a waste of the screen area. Supposedly with iOS 13, dynamic scaling has been introduced to Carplay BUT manufacturers are the ones that have to implement that feature for the screens in their respective cars. It would be nice to see Waze in full screen using Carplay. Hopefully Ford will apply that functionality.

I may agree the portrait screen is odd, but the the sound system and other features like adaptive cruse is worth it. Quality sound is very important to me.

They only added 2 small additional speakers.

76B005F9-8FD7-4E2F-B2B3-1D875BE31B40.jpeg
The same screen as in the tech package is in the Aviator only in landscape mode. I haven’t seen the screen in the explorer so can’t express an opinion as to which I like best.

View attachment 173730 The same screen as in the tech package is in the Aviator only in landscape mode. I haven’t seen the screen in the explorer so can’t express an opinion as to which I like best.

It's actually a totally different UI than the portrait mode display in the Explorer.

It's actually a totally different UI than the portrait mode display in the Explorer.
Good or bad difference? Haven’t seen the Explorer tech, only the standard screen in the limited model. Local dealer carries very few vehicles in stock other than F150s and Super Duties.

Good or bad difference? Haven’t seen the Explorer tech, only the standard screen in the limited model. Local dealer carries very few vehicles in stock other than F150s and Super Duties.

Given a choice, I'd take the landscape myself.

Landscape screen looks so much better. I am glad that I did not get premium package just for that. There is too much waste of screen space and it could take years to improve it.

Sadly I agree with you... on the part that it could be a long time before we see any real update. But my real fear is we will see little to nothing. Unless we see Ford use this 10.1 screen in portrait mode on any other vehicle, I seriously doubt much effort will go into fixing this hot mess. The fact that they have the same screen in landscape mode in the Aviator does not bode well. If this was truly a "Premium Upgrade" the Lincolns would be sporting this orientation.

I really feel like it was a last minute hardware (gimmick) rush to implement with no real thought to how the software would have to be changed to truly make good use of it. After the big "Ohhh crap, what did we get ourselves into" they said... "Hey let's not put this stupid thing in any other models". Lesson learned.

It seems the posts in this thread are no longer about what the OP began the thread about. The 12" info dash cluster.;)

Peter

Yeah sorry, we took it off the rails. Just so passionately irritated with Ford on the 10.1 ;)

Back on the 12 in display. Anyone know how of if I can get rid of the flashing speed limit icon. I always drive a little over the posted speed. This is very annoying, if the cruise is on but I am driving with the throttle it will not flash.
Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't know a 2017 had a 12" display.;) You can set the crusing speed up to 20 mph over the posted limit. See the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Back