12 inch sub fried my alternator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

papajoey

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer xls
I hooked up my 2400w planet audio amp and my 12 inch kicker its 300 RMS and peaks at 600. I also swapped my head unit out for a boss audio head unit. Once I got everything hooked up I was rolling around bumping hard for probably 30 or 45 minutes and my battery light came on and then shortly after my lights started to dim and my alternator guage started to go down. I had the same amp and sub in my jeep and did the same thing and this never happened. My battery is coming up on 4 years old. Does anyone have any advice? IS it even my alternator? I dont think this should have killed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Original alternator? It may have had its days numbered anyway so this just led to a little earlier demise.

Might not help that the battery was 4 years old, including that I expect you get shorter battery life in your warm climate.

Disconnect the sub in case it has a fault, charge the battery, see if it holds charge. If it doesn't, replace battery. If it does, start vehicle and see if alternator is giving it around 14.4V. If not, replace alternator, or take to an auto parts store that can test it and/or the battery.

Since you have an XLS, you probably have the lower current factory alternator if it's still the original. On Rock Auto I see listings for 90A, 115A, and 130A. I'd get a 130A as a replacement if it is compatible and turns out to be the alternator, or a higher output aftermarket if you really crank the volume for extended periods.

Welcome to the forum!

Original alternator? It may have had its days numbered anyway so this just led to a little earlier demise.

Might not help that the battery was 4 years old, including that I expect you get shorter battery life in your warm climate.

Disconnect the sub in case it has a fault, charge the battery, see if it holds charge. If it doesn't, replace battery. If it does, start vehicle and see if alternator is giving it around 14.4V. If not, replace alternator, or take to an auto parts store that can test it and/or the battery.

Since you have an XLS, you probably have the lower current factory alternator if it's still the original. On Rock Auto I see listings for 90A, 115A, and 130A. I'd get a 130A as a replacement if it is compatible and turns out to be the alternator, or a higher output aftermarket if you really crank the volume for extended periods.
Thank you for the advice I will let you know what happens. I will probably end up buying a 130A one just to be safe. I believe mine is a 115A.

I will probably end up buying a 130A one just to be safe. I believe mine is a 115A.
Heads up.....if you buy the 130A alternator, be sure to buy a new pigtail connector as (depending on the year your Explorer is) the connector might be D instead of 0 shape.

That amp is no where near 2400 watts. You don’t need to upgrade your electrical to run it. Your battery or alternator was probably on its way out, and this was simply the last straw.

That amp is no where near 2400 watts. You don’t need to upgrade your electrical to run it. Your battery or alternator was probably on its way out, and this was simply the last straw.
many amps are wayyyyy overrated imo. imo most important number is RMS. but you knew that already ;)

I hooked up my 2400w planet audio amp and my 12 inch kicker its 300 RMS and peaks at 600. I also swapped my head unit out for a boss audio head unit. Once I got everything hooked up I was rolling around bumping hard for probably 30 or 45 minutes and my battery light came on and then shortly after my lights started to dim and my alternator guage started to go down. I had the same amp and sub in my jeep and did the same thing and this never happened. My battery is coming up on 4 years old. Does anyone have any advice? IS it even my alternator? I dont think this should have killed it. UPDATE: I bought a used 130A alternator at a local junkyard for $20 and everything is working great.

Somehow the post got stuck in the quote but good to hear it's working again!
(as long as I'm not stuck next to you in traffic) ;)

Alternators are a snap to install on these things. Double check your wiring on the amp just to be on the safe side.

Back