12 Volt Solutions Remote Start Kit?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12 Volt Solutions Remote Start Kit??

Mercury93

Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
My wife and I recently traded her Jeep Wrangler on a new ‘18 Explorer Base (Getting our 7 month old son under the roll bar of the Jeep and into his car seat was becoming more and more annoying with each passing day). She would really like the car to have a remote start, and after searching and seeing that I need to install the hood switch and wiring harness, was looking at plug and play kits. My questions are:

Does the hood switch wiring harness from the Ford Accessories website include instructions on where it needs to plug into the main wiring harness?

And, has anyone ever used the remote start kit from 12 Volt Solutions?
2016-2018 Ford Explorer Remote Start Plug & Play Kit

Thanks, all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello I got a remote start from warmcarnow.com, Paul the owner has some great videos to help install.I had it in and running on my 2014 explorer in less than 30 mins total cost 79 bucks he will flash the fort1 evo to what you want you can do lock 3x or I chose lock unlock lock to stop the horn from beeping it runs for 20 minutes

I recently purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer and just purchased and installed the Remote Start kit from 12VoltSolutions. I can look tomorrow to let you know where the hood switch pin plugs in to.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

It runs into the main harness underneath the fuse box, so my guess is that it would plug into the security system somewhere. Without seeing the full hood switch harness, I wouldn't know exactly where it goes to.

20181103_122913.jpg

20181103_122930.jpg

I recently purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer and just purchased and installed the Remote Start kit from 12VoltSolutions. I can look tomorrow to let you know where the hood switch pin plugs in to.

I am looking at the same remote start kit. How is it working for you?

It's been working great for me! The only information you'll need to know is that when it is running from the Remote Start module and you enter the vehicle, ignore the "Press Brake to drive" notification in the display and touch the Start/Stop button to "start" driving. If you touch the brake, the vehicle will shut off.

It sure is nice to come out in the cold, snowy mornings and have a defrosted and warmed vehicle.

I’m sorry that I havent updated anything about the kit. I did manage to google search and find where the hood switch pins into on the body control module. That was the toughest thing about the entire kit. I ended up purchasing the “No Horn Honk” kit from 12 Volt and it has worked as advertised. The only thing was that since my car is a base model, I did have to take it to the dealer to have them enable the remote start function for the car.

I purchased the other kit, the one that honks to start, and it does not require any programming at the dealer.

I do not regret my purchase at all! Especially this morning at 0°F with a -20° wind chill. Came out to a nice warm and toasty car!

I’m sorry that I havent updated anything about the kit. I did manage to google search and find where the hood switch pins into on the body control module. That was the toughest thing about the entire kit. I ended up purchasing the “No Horn Honk” kit from 12 Volt and it has worked as advertised. The only thing was that since my car is a base model, I did have to take it to the dealer to have them enable the remote start function for the car.
What did they charge to enable the remote start?

If you are half way handy you could have used Forscan to change what was needed. Look at the Forscan thread o this forum.

I purchased the other kit, the one that honks to start, and it does not require any programming at the dealer.

I do not regret my purchase at all! Especially this morning at 0°F with a -20° wind chill. Came out to a nice warm and toasty car!
Could you let me know where's that link that shows where to plug the switch to the bcm. My dad's car is the same model as yours. Already enabled the remote start for him but need to put the hood pin in place. Help a brother out.

I’m trying to install the same no honk model from 12volt solutions into a base 2017 explorer with out the hood switch or harness. I too am stuck on where the hood switch harness plugs (or wires) into the explorer. Can the location and other information be added to this thread?

I also have the 12volt solutions remote starter in my F-150 for a year now and it works great. I’m adding the cell phone module later this month.

That’s great information, thank you. Are the pins numbered so I can figure out which one is 14?

It's been working great for me! The only information you'll need to know is that when it is running from the Remote Start module and you enter the vehicle, ignore the "Press Brake to drive" notification in the display and touch the Start/Stop button to "start" driving. If you touch the brake, the vehicle will shut off.

It sure is nice to come out in the cold, snowy mornings and have a defrosted and warmed vehicle.
would you happen to know if it is possible to install on an explorer utility model?

would you happen to know if it is possible to install on an explorer utility model?
I ultimately bought something different....but 12v solutions sells a kit expressly for the PIU.,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
Sorry to dig this post from the grave.
I am in the same boat, I have a Ford Explorer 2018 Base , standard key.
I have bought 12voltsolutions kit, No Honk, and just discovered my car doesn't come with a hood switch

From where can I purchase the complete hood switch for a base model kit? And then how to connect to the BCM and do the pragamming, looking at this manual, my eyes are sppinning

Back