12 volts 2014 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12 volts 2014 Ford Explorer

ScottHalsey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford explorer
How is the quickest and easiest way to get 12 volts to back of a 2014 ford explorer for a wheelchair lift. There is a electric brake 12 pin outlet at the back but I can't get 12 volts there. The manual said fuse 30amp in place 3. However there was only one prong. Why would there be just 1 pin and not 2 for the fuse to plug in? I plugged the fuse in anyway and still not 12 volts. Please help me find the simplest and easiest way to get 12 volts at the back as my wife is paraplegic and I am 100% disabled vet. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure of one off hand but I would rather run my own 8-10 gauge "stereo" power wire to the back directly from the battery with a fuse near the positive battery terminal. Can be bought and installed at almost any custom audio store.

The best way would be to run your own wire from the battery to the rear like stated above. The trailer brake wiring probably won't have the ability to sustain the currant draw that the wheel chair lift will have.

Welcome to this forum! You could either run a new cable as previously stated or run a cable from the high current fuse box under the hood. I guess you want it to always have power, and not be ignition controlled (only when the electrical system is on or when the engine is on)? Do you know the amp usage of the system? This will determine the gauge of the wire, and the fuse which is required. Some of these systems use a hydraulic pump, and other ones are fully electric.

I don't know the load demands for a wheelchair lift but you might be better off installing a small U1 type battery in the rear of the Explorer. This will give you 230A. You can charge this battery with a much smaller, lower amperage, wire to a run circuit. There are devices that will allow the U1 to charge off of the car without 'participating' in powering the rest of the car (power flowing backward).

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...id=1461245456&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+seas+m+acr

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your response. However I got what I needed out of the electric brake. Now can you stop this thread. I want people to be able to help others. This is a great site.

Back