12 wks/11,000 miles..1st the cooling fan assembly at 4,000 miles and now the APIM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12 wks/11,000 miles..1st the cooling fan assembly at 4,000 miles and now the APIM

jnimon

Reaction score
City, State
North Ridgeville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
This is really starting to piss me off!!! I have had my EX for 12 weeks and had it in the shop 4 times to date!! 1st the cooling fan assembly took a **** at around 4,000 miles. then the MFT/Sync started acting up, took in for update v2.11. This caused me to lose the text msg, some nav capabilities & I had to have sync make each call 2x to get it to go through. I took in last Friday to have fixed, they wiped the system clean and reinstalled sync. The texting feature still didn't work but the nav and phone were at least working. Mind you the text worked since I bought the car & only stopped working with the latest greatest update!! Well yesterday I was traveling on business and a nav fault warning came up to call my Ford dealer for service. I tried to use syn to call the dealer but nothing....none of the features were working and sirius station icons were on wrong stations and multiple screen shots were layered on top of eachother. What a joke!!! I drove directly to the dealer and pulled in to service bay, left truck running and threw them the keys. I said take look at it now while it's running so you can see what kind of **** product ford has put out!! If this thing were a plane it would've crashed and burned. They checked it out and said a TSB was just issued yesterday for the APIM and they had to order it. Will be in Thur but not holding my breath. $45,000 for a vehicle to be in the shop 4x in 3 months. Great Job Ford!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have had more than your share of problems with the Ex. I'm interested as to what the tech service bulletin said about the APIM. What does it have to be doing to be replaced?

Thread cleaned up.

waskly - please keep the conversation civil, and do NOT insult other members. Every user has the right to express his/her experience with the vehicle - be it good or bad.
Warning and Infractions given. Please contact Rick if you have any disputes with the Warning and Infraction Points.

Don't feel lonesome. I have had the same misfortune with MY "all new 2011 Ford Explorer". My wife has been left stranded on the roadside twice in the 5 months and less than 7500 miles since we have owned this "all new 2011 Ford Explorer".

The first time my wife, grand daughter and mother-in-law were stranded on the roadside in 95 degree temperatures due to an overheating problem caused by the failure of a cooling fan. The car had less than 2500 miles on it! The second time was just yesterday with less than 7500 miles clocked. Again, my wife was driving and while trying to make a right turn at a four way stop the steering froze and would not turn right. Had there been a car on the other side over the intersection there could have been an accident. Or worse, what if this had happened at highway speeds!

Ford's "all new 2011 Ford Explorer" is a piece of garbage as far as I am concerned and will I never own another!

Thread cleaned up.

waskly - please keep the conversation civil, and do NOT insult other members. Every user has the right to express his/her experience with the vehicle - be it good or bad.
Warning and Infractions given. Please contact Rick if you have any disputes with the Warning and Infraction Points.

Thank you ;)

This is really starting to piss me off!!! I have had my EX for 12 weeks and had it in the shop 4 times to date!! 1st the cooling fan assembly took a **** at around 4,000 miles. then the MFT/Sync started acting up, took in for update v2.11. This caused me to lose the text msg, some nav capabilities & I had to have sync make each call 2x to get it to go through. I took in last Friday to have fixed, they wiped the system clean and reinstalled sync. The texting feature still didn't work but the nav and phone were at least working. Mind you the text worked since I bought the car & only stopped working with the latest greatest update!! Well yesterday I was traveling on business and a nav fault warning came up to call my Ford dealer for service. I tried to use syn to call the dealer but nothing....none of the features were working and sirius station icons were on wrong stations and multiple screen shots were layered on top of eachother. What a joke!!! I drove directly to the dealer and pulled in to service bay, left truck running and threw them the keys. I said take look at it now while it's running so you can see what kind of **** product ford has put out!! If this thing were a plane it would've crashed and burned. They checked it out and said a TSB was just issued yesterday for the APIM and they had to order it. Will be in Thur but not holding my breath. $45,000 for a vehicle to be in the shop 4x in 3 months. Great Job Ford!!!!!!!!

Please keep us posted, esp. with respect to the TSB issued regarding the APIM.

CORY! I think your assistance is needed here! Additionally, Cory, can you fill us in on the APIM TSB?

Don't feel lonesome. I have had the same misfortune with MY "all new 2011 Ford Explorer". My wife has been left stranded on the roadside twice in the 5 months and less than 7500 miles since we have owned this "all new 2011 Ford Explorer"...
pfretts,
I can help make this right by escalating your concern. You already posted your approximate mileage, so please private message me with your contact information, VIN, and dealer info.

Please keep us posted, esp. with respect to the TSB issued regarding the APIM.

CORY! I think your assistance is needed here! Additionally, Cory, can you fill us in on the APIM TSB?
Thank you for your suggestion, jrmexplorer. TSBs are not publicly posted by Ford and I’m not on the In-Vehicle Technology Team (FordIVTteam), so I forwarded this to Rebecca so she can assist.

Cory

They checked it out and said a TSB was just issued yesterday for the APIM and they had to order it.

I'm not aware of a TSB being released for any APIM, SYNC, or MFT issues. In fact, I don't see any newly released TSBs at all. You may want to verify with your dealership, but they are probably referring to their technical support approving your APIM replacement.

Rebecca

I'm not aware of a TSB being released for any APIM, SYNC, or MFT issues. In fact, I don't see any newly released TSBs at all. You may want to verify with your dealership, but they are probably referring to their technical support approving your APIM replacement.

Rebecca

Thanks for checking! I wouldn't want to miss a hardware upgrade :D

Back